• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I get the Seagate 4TB or the WD-Green 4TB for storage ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB [140$ about]

or

Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB (OEM) [about 20$ more]
Retail kit STBD4000400 few dollars more, same spec drive.

Things to consider:

I read before that the green drive auto parks the head every 8 seconds if no disk activity and leads to premature failure but I think that was a model from a couple years ago.

The Seagate has 1TB-per-disk hard drive technology so it's a 4 platter design. So I assume the Green drive has 5 platters ? Not sure if a pro or a con.

The Seagate has 5900rpm the Green not sure but it's around the same, if one is a little faster then the other by a little it really does not matter to me. It's the one that is more reliable is important to me.

Being low rpm I assume they should both be pretty quiet ?

Also I know that Green goes to sleep automatically after 10 mins. I have my Power plan setup so it won't, it's not a con anymore and not to consider.

Last edited:
Both are almost the same. I would get WD just because I have bad experience with Seagate but if you are going to make RAID on more of these drives then I don't think it's any serious issue. If you get more drives then simply pick the cheaper one as it additionally lower the costs in case of any failure ( hopefully it won't fail at all :) ).

Go with hitachi or a caviar black. The greens are complete garbage.

There are numerous reports of them failing because the head parking is so aggressive.

Back