• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

choosing a mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hozhoz

Registered
on whic basis should i choose the mother board ? i mean what makes me dont choose the h-81 mobo for i5 and choose the z-97 ? while the 2 of them supports lga 1150 !

HozHoz - Im going to suggest making one thread about your build as opposed to one thread on a particular subject (we already covered the CPU). It keeps things nice, neat and tidy for you, and those helping you.

To answer quickly though - The H series is low end/budget. The boards are not as robust and there are few, if any, overclocking options. If you plan to overclock, you will want a Z based board. If overclocking is not in the cards, you can get away with an H series board.

Features and overclockability.

The H-series do not support overclocking. Z97 is Intel's latest chipset for 1150 and comes with all of the newer features.

Three questions for you:

Where are you located?

Do you plan to overclock?

What is your budget?

Three questions for you:

Where are you located?

Do you plan to overclock?

What is your budget?
Egypt,i dont think ill need to overclock an i5-4690,well am just choosing the least possible to give the gpu more room for budget

- - - Updated - - -

Features and overclockability.

The H-series do not support overclocking. Z97 is Intel's latest chipset for 1150 and comes with all of the newer features.
do i really need to overclock an i5-4690 ? :/

HozHoz - Im going to suggest making one thread about your build as opposed to one thread on a particular subject (we already covered the CPU). It keeps things nice, neat and tidy for you, and those helping you.

To answer quickly though - The H series is low end/budget. The boards are not as robust and there are few, if any, overclocking options. If you plan to overclock, you will want a Z based board. If overclocking is not in the cards, you can get away with an H series board.

so i think ill go with the H series as i wont need to overclock the i5-4690 as it wont bottleneck any gpu for now !

sorry it's 4590

Last edited by a moderator:
You can edit your posts instead of triple posting :thup:

Especially with your CPU (4590) not being unlocked, there's very little reason for you to get an overclocking board (Z-series).

I would look for the cheapest boards which support your CPU, then start eliminating them by whether or not they have other features you need (form factor, # memory module slots, which version of audio codecs, Gigabit, PCI slots, USB ports, video outputs...)

I've been looking for a board to "just sit" a Haswell chip in for a few days now and I keep coming back to the Asrock H97M Pro4. Seems like a pretty solid board for the $.

Also, a bit off-topic since you won't be overclocking, but I thought I read that even the lower end boards (B85, H87/97) were gonna support multiplier overclocking now?

Yea, that's what I had read. Full disclosure, though, I've also read that this is something Intel obviously won't like, so it probably isn't something to hang your hat on.

Back