• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with g3258/z97 xpower ac overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks!

Got the new setup (g3258 and the msi z97 xpower ac) running yesterday. My first impression is GEEEEEZZ....SO many bios settings!!! Tooled around a bit, hit 5.7GHz and managed my 3 top global subs with everything (other than vcore and multi) on auto. It'll do 5.6-5.7 (very unstable) at 1.6v. Running it under the cascade which is holding -105C at full load (-106c idle).

Have a lot to read/research but thought I'd go ahead and open this thread as I'm sure to need some help dialing in the overclock and, of course, would very much welcome tips, ideas, links to guides, etc.

Some initial issues I've already been banging my head over include:
- IntelME refuses to install. Errors out saying I've got something outdated. Tried running the intel patch but that errors out saying it can't find any associated hardware. What the heck??
- MSI's overclocking software also refuses to install
- Can't get the ram to run at anything over 2200

The setup started acting squirrelly about 8 hours into the session...likely cold/condensation issue...so will tear it down and re-insulate (and read lots of guides) before giving it another shot.

Any/all help would be much appreciated.

tia!

Did you end up finding any moisture upon breaking it down? DId you cover those power bits as you asked in your other thread?

As far as the the O/C software (command center), it installed for the review...so I am not sure why it wouldn't for you.

Did you get any other ram to run over 2200Mhz on that CPU? The board will do at least 2666 I know that...

Hiya ED!
Didn't have time to break it down last night so that's on this evening's agenda. Covered the exposed chips with a layer of armaflex but will cover them with eraser when I re-insulate. Command center installs but when I try to launch it, I get the windows 'something happened and I'm going to shut the app down' error. Couldn't get any ram over 2200...tried with 2133, 2200, 2400, 2666 and 2933 sticks.

Once you get it sorted out, work with the clocks, skip the RAM until max clocks are realized.

Clock is king , the see what you can do with the kit.

I am old school , Try working in the BIOS :)

What for preset's does the board come with ?

Personally I would get in the habit of breaking down immediately after a cold session. If there is moisture underneath, you want to see it, and get it gone ASAP to protect the board.

As far as the memory, specifically that CPU, have you had memory over 2200MHz on that CPU before? Maybe its the IMC. Try any other CPUs?

What for preset's does the board come with ?
Has oc genie but haven't tried it yet.

Personally I would get in the habit of breaking down immediately after a cold session. If there is moisture underneath, you want to see it, and get it gone ASAP to protect the board.

As far as the memory, specifically that CPU, have you had memory over 2200MHz on that CPU before? Maybe its the IMC. Try any other CPUs?

Agreed but was benching later than planned and wife wanted me to come hang out so didn't have the time for the 1 hour warm-up to break it down.

Don't have another 1150 cpu to try (yet hehe) but I know this one's run memory at 2400.

Ok, so the CPU (where the IMC is) is good to at least 2400+, the board ran 2666 no problems either. Not terribly helpful that information... however, are there any more bios updates for that board? I had the latest that was on there, but that was what, over a month ago, so that may be worth it to flash and see...

Did you flash one bios and leave the other at whatever it was at? If so, try that one just to make sure its not the bios update.

Back