• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting back into PC gaming soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnknownSpectre

Registered
Ok, so I am building a new gaming rig and want to get back into PC gaming. To tell you how far removed from this I am...the last game I played on PC (other than WoW (don't judge me)) was Counter-Strike (1.5...pre-steam...pre-source).

What games should I get back into? Battlefield seems to be the go-to FPS, am I right about that? Are there other FPS that are worth it?

It depends on if you want a multiplayer or single-player focused shooter.

If you want multiplayer Battlefield is probably the go-to, there is also still Counter-Strike: Source and Global Offensive that are pretty popular still. There is a lot of hype around the upcoming release of the newest Call of Duty (Advanced Warfare) that apparently has changed a decent amount to make it feel somewhat unique and not following the same-old formula. Titanfall seems to have mostly came and went. Planetside 2 is Free2Play and has a decent-sized following as far as I know. Team Fortress 2 is also Free2Play on Steam so you can get into that as well.

TF2, I have played that a few times....thanks for the reminder on that one.

Multi-player is really what I am focused on. I played the CoD series on Xbox, so I guess that that is something to look forward to. I didn't expect CS to still have a large following...maybe I'll start playing that again once I get my machine up and running..

How about good games in other categories, from a single-player aspect?

Depends on what you enjoy. Do you like RPGs? RTSs? Turn-Based Strategy? Racing Sims?

For RPGs: Skyrim came out a couple years ago and was immensely popular.

Turn-Based: Civilization 5 is currently out, and the new Civilization will be out this fall (Civ - Beyond Earth)

FPS Single Player Games: Bioshock series are great, Borderlands games are somewhat single-player, Far Cry 3 was excellent (in my opinion)

Third-Person Games: Assassins Creed games, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Tomb Raider, just to name a few.

I played Skyrim to death (over 1,000 hours) on XBOX as well as the Borderlands games.

Far Cry 3 I've heard great things...so maybe that one is worth a try. Thanks

Don't forget to watch Steam, GreenManGaming, and HumbleBundle for awesome deals on games.
Keep an eye out at reddit.com/r/gamedeals and isthereanydeal.com as well.

Give Far Cry 3 a shot. My best description is like Skyrim with guns.

Mmm Skyrim with Guns. I'll take it.

And thanks, didn't know about the isthereanydeal.com website. Another one to add to my favorites.

Mmm Skyrim with Guns. I'll take it.

And thanks, didn't know about the isthereanydeal.com website. Another one to add to my favorites.

Yeah, it's a really neat site. Just know that if there's a promo code that's site-wide it won't show it on a game's price list sometimes.
I see that happen a lot with the GreenManGaming promo codes.

Farming simulator 2015!!!!

otherwise metro series and s.t.a.l.k.e.r. series.

day of defeat source.

Farming simulator 2015!!!!

otherwise metro series and s.t.a.l.k.e.r. series.

day of defeat source.

DoD:Source still have a large following? That's been around for quite some time hasn't it?

Also, you have a thing for Russian-based horror FPS games, don't ya? I will have to look into those series, they actually look pretty good.

And, please tell me you're kidding about the Farming Simulator?????? :screwy:

Back