• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Space Engineers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
Anybody here play Space Engineers? I did a search and didn't find anything.

It's still an early access game but it had a free weekend with a sale a couple weeks ago and I've been hooked on it ever since. It's the kind of game that would be more fun with some real cooperative (and/or rivalrous) friends with a lot of creativity and patience.

I was hoping maybe some fellow OCFer's would like to get together and build some crazy-awesome ships and stations, battle it out or whatever. :)

If you've never heard of it before or not paid it much attention, check out some of Last Stand Gamer's or Video Sage's youtube vids. They have some amazing work and interesting concepts that they do.

I'm finding this game is really pushing my hardware unlike any other game I've ever played. If I dream too big I get tons of lag as it consumes my RAM and overwhelms my poor little HD7850.

My girlfriend jokingly said "Time for an upgrade!"

Well... it is, but I'm short on cash and she would strangle me if I spent too much on computer upgrades right now. :D

It is very fun. I'm still getting the hang of building. I've only downloaded a few mods and I want to try making some semi-complex machines to use on ships and stations.

it looks pretty cool from the videos i've watched. might have to check it out.

i'll end up playing it, but in the process of switching stuff over from my house to the girlfriends, not sure when im gonna have things ready over there to setup my pc, so not too much time for pc gaming as of late :(

I would like to play. What's your steam ID Kamp?

Mine is Aldakoopa (easily enough)

Right now I'm trying to make a working transmission... but the physics aren't playing nicely and the gears keep getting jammed. Then it's back to the drawing board. Now it's to the point where I can't even get two gears to spin without jamming. I don't know if I have to delete it all and start again or what. It's like it bent a rotor or some teeth or something but there's no visible damage. It wasn't the same since a small gear got jammed between a wheel and a large gear and glitched through it and launched into space. I went around it with my welder to see if any damage was done but it didn't fix anything. I have to keep bodyslamming it with my jetpack on for it to turn maybe two more teeth and then get jammed again.

:bang head

My steam name is dyckah
hoping to be setup and gaming over here by next week

After an incident or two in the server last night with dszombiex, I came to the realization of why a certain function exists in the game that I always wondered what it was for; so here's a big tip for whomever it may concern:

If you're going to build a large ship, don't select the "new large ship" option from your menu. Instead, select "new station", and build your ship initially as a station. Why? Because an unpowered ship with no thrusters/gyroscopes can, and will, go spinning wildly and floating off into space, and attempting to stop it is a dangerous task that can cost you a ton of time a resources in survival mode. A station, whether it has power or not, is completely stationary, stable, and will not move no matter how much force you apply to it. Once you have your ship built as a station and have thrusters, gyros, and power enabled, THEN use a control panel to select the "Convert to ship" option under the INFO tab.

Trust me.

Just... trust me. :(

RIP Big Bird November 1, 2014 - November 8, 2014

(construction ship carrying a large amount of construction components that required a lot of time and energy to make)

Last edited:
Oh no! Or maybe you could build a big platform on which to build your ship on?

I started trying to build with landing gears attached to an asteroid, or zombie's ship, but they were becoming unstable, just from building. They'd become wobbly and really start to freak out some times, becoming deadly to get too close too and damaging the surface it was mounted on, or a construction ship you're using to build. So, building the ship a a station, then converting it is the easiest, safest way.

I've been playing it on/off over the past year. Interesting game just haven't had much time to really dig into it.
Really liked the concept thats why I bought into it.

Yeah me too. I liked the concept of minecraft but never enough to actually buy it. Same thing with Kerbal Space Program... now this is basically a combination of those two games, more or less.

ya I play this game
if someone is up to hosting a server LMK
as my internet is WAY to slow to host it (that and im having a issue getting it working on 2012 R2)

BTW Very fun game. I do recommend looking into some mods like MagLock which adds a very good landing gear (tractor beam) also I like the stargate mod also so I can but stargates and Supergates :D

Back