• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot transfer files from server outside of network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyij

*I can transfer files to my server outside the network via FTP
*I can NOT transfer files from my server outside my network via FTP
*I can NOT transfer files inside my network (on the same switch/router) via FTP
*I am not sure about transferring files from my server inside my network via FTP, but can test if necessary.

For the situations listed above, I tried both windows explorer and Filezilla to connect to the server.

The folders and sub-folders are all set to chmod 775 and I am connecting as the owner and group member.

When using Samba within the network, I do not have any issues with permissions (I use the same user to access them).

When I get a chance, I will try to rewrite chmod -R 775 to all of the files, incase I transferred them and they adhered to the wrong "owner." I.e, I transferred via samba and the owner of the document stayed the same as the user name of the computer it was created on.

Anyone have any idea where I should start to look for the problem - maybe log files for the ftp program on the server?

PS: I just tried another user that is not an admin, but has privileges via being in the same group, and I am having the same trouble (at least trying to fetch a file from my server while outside of my network). So after I post this thread - I am now able to transfer files from my server to a local computer via FTP for user with same group but the owner is still not able to transfer files inbetween.

As always, thanks for any help.

Last edited:
What OS is/are your server(s) that you are having issues with running? FTP logs or security logs may show an issue...

Also what error are you getting (if any) when trying to FTP the files?

Back