• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC will Randomly Freeze with sound stuttering (looping) With no BSOD or etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoBioN

I have this problem that can happen at any time... In games or when watching video's.

The PC will Freeze totally with the last sound stuttering... you can wait for ages with nothing happening.

My System is:

Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHZ
Asrock Extreme4 Z68
8 Gb Corsair memory
120 GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
1.5 Tb hitachi hdd
MSI Geforce 970 gaming
A Wifi card from D-link
NorthQ 1000 Watt Powerreactor

I am thinking it might be the motherboard or the PSU.

How to proceed from here? i search the internet for these symptoms and read about similiar problems but it seems the solution can be very different.

Check the event viewer to see if there are any errors?

Hi UnknownSpectre

Thanks for putting a effort into helping me! :)

I checked the Event viewer and it can only see that the power was cut due to me reseting the PC.

Well then, I guess I'm useless beyond there on newer hardware :cry:

Back in the day when I knew anything about hardware, I'd had a similar issue, and it wound up being a RAM issue (running it at a different voltage wound up solving my issue back in the day...but I had also seen something in the event viewer).

I googled (as you did) your symptoms...and man is there a large gambit of things that could cause that. Good luck (hopefully someone has some better input than me)

Well then, I guess I'm useless beyond there on newer hardware :cry:

Back in the day when I knew anything about hardware, I'd had a similar issue, and it wound up being a RAM issue (running it at a different voltage wound up solving my issue back in the day...but I had also seen something in the event viewer).

I googled (as you did) your symptoms...and man is there a large gambit of things that could cause that. Good luck (hopefully someone has some better input than me)

Yes exactly

I think i'll do a memtest, if the RAM is fine i can try switch out the Powersupply for a BeQuiet 580 Watt i got in a HTPC...

The problem was also there with a Geforce 560 Ti, so i am confident it is not the GPU

Can you check the PSU with a multimeter?

Did this just start happening?
Any hardware changes around the same time as the problem started?

Can you check the PSU with a multimeter?

Did this just start happening?
Any hardware changes around the same time as the problem started?

Hi Atminside

I can't unfortunatly.

This evening it had 2 event 41 "kernel power" events happening. i got 3 in all due to this problem since reinstall of windows..

1 happening under a Youtube video

2 of them says:

BugcheckCode 244
BugcheckParameter1 0x3
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffffa80095d5b30
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffffa80095d5e10
BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff80002fd5270
SleepInProgress true (Especially this part)
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Could be some power problem?

You need to get a multimeter on that PSU to see if it's supplying the correct voltages.
You can get a cheap one for ~$10 at almost any hardware store.

I have had this happen before, when it does, it is usually due to my OC not being stable. It's possible that the 2500k is degrading a little and may need a tad more voltage to sustain the 4.5 OC.

It may also be driver related?!?

I have had this happen before, when it does, it is usually due to my OC not being stable. It's possible that the 2500k is degrading a little and may need a tad more voltage to sustain the 4.5 OC.

It may also be driver related?!?

I will try downgrade to normal speeds.

My NorthQ Giant reactor 1000W i can exhange for a BeQuiet 580 Watt which i think is a better quality PSU too... :). i have it in a HTPC that i dont use at the moment... it could be that old PSU...

It tends to have Coil whine as well for a year or 2 atleast

Back