• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg 'rebate card' for real?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexisvx

Registered
Hi all,
I am new to PC building and have been looking at Newegg for some of my parts. I noticed that for quite a few of the items I am after, Newegg offers ' $20 rebate card'. The rebate cards are all expiring soon and was wondering if these tend to renew after they expire or that they indeed are gone for good after expiration.

I am really stressing over this as I don't know if I should buy now or wait for cyber monday/black friday for possible better deals.

I am also checking pcpartpicker for best deals.

The rebate lasts as long as it says it does. Note that the cutoff date is typically from date of purchase. Not arrival to you or to rebate center.

Are we talking about mail in rebates? Your odds of actually receiving the rebate in the mail are about 50%. Sometimes they take 6 months. Sometimes you're waiting 10 years but they just don't show up. Total crapshoot. If the rebate doesn't happen "at the cash register" don't expect it to happen at all.

I've mailed in approx. 70 rebates in my life and have only had an issue with 1, and in the end even that one got paid out.

Well, I just bought one item today from newegg with a $20 mail-in rebate, hopefully I'll get it !

You usually have to print out the form or go to the specified URL and fill out a form online. Then print the form they give you, mail that form, a copy of your invoice or receipt, and the UPC label from the product you bought, to the specified address.

I have mailed in dozens of rebate applications over the years and only had one not pan out. People who have lots of trouble with rebates probably do not adhere to the rules for submission. That's the only reason I can imagine that would cause such high failure rate. The rules are very specific and they must be followed to the letter.
1. The purchase must be made before the cut off date of the offer.
2. Many companies now require you to preregister for the rebate electronically.
3. The rebate form and materials must be submitted within the specified time frame.
4. You must sign and date the rebate form.
5. You must attach an original UPC from the product box that you cut out with scissors
6. You must include a copy of the invoice
7. You must address the envelope correctly. Most companies now ask you to cut out the address from the rebate from itself so it will be legible. Then paste it on the envelope.
8. You must put adequate postage on the envelope
9. You must mail the envelope
10. You must wait approximately 2 months for the rebate to arrive at your house
11. The rebate card or check must be used within the time frame specified on the card or check itself. Most companies have gone away from rebates in check form and issue credit cards instead.

Some companies will even contact you if you neglect to include all the materials and give you a second chance.

This is not rocket science. But it does require you to pay attention to detail and to act in a timely fashion. I find that the only real problem I have with these things is procrastination.

Last edited:
Agreed, there's nothing wrong with mail in rebates, I've done many over the years and have received every single one. Just follow the directions exactly, make copies and take a picture of everything you send in.

That being said, you can bet that there will be better deals to come nearer black friday/cyber monday, so if you miss something now it's probably not the end of the world.

Back