• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was this a GPU problem or a motherboard problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zSeann

Hey, everyone!
So, today I just recieved my MSI R7 260X from Newegg and plugged into my PC, when I turned on my PC, there is a long beep. The beep doesn't stop, though, it just keeps going. I made sure it wasn't loose in the slot and the GPU is plugged in and everything. I can't tell if it's a PCIe issue, or if it was the GPU. I sent the GPU in for RMA because I know Newegg can sometimes send defective GPU's. Was the RMA the right choice, or was it my motherboard? Thanks in advance.

My other specs:
Motherboard: M5A78L-M LX Plus
PSU: Cooler Master 500W
CPU: FX-6100 3.3GHz
RAM: HyperX Red Series 1x8GB

Back in the day I had a list of beep codes based on BIOS manufacture. I looked them up to see if I could help. One long beep repeated is not one that I can find the answer to. 1 long and 3 short is memory failure for AMI BIOS.

The manual for that MB is less than helpful. The best I could find there is a beep for a slow fan. Did a fan get disconnected of jammed up?

My best guess is to make sure the video card is seated properly. Make sure your power supply is strong enough. Make sure that the video cable is inserted on the new card and not a MB video port.

when I turned on my PC, there is a long beep. The beep doesn't stop, though, it just keeps going.
Long beep that doesn't stop is the vid card no power warning. Did you plug the 6 pin PCI-e power cable into the card?

Long beep that doesn't stop is the vid card no power warning. Did you plug the 6 pin PCI-e power cable into the card?

Yeah, the connector was plugged in and the GPU was seated properly. I suppose the RMA was the right choice?

Back