• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to cable modems and having some issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Good evening you fine folks. I have gotten myself some cable internet for the first time in a long time it's been giving me fits. I'm hoping some of you cable internet gurus can help me out here. The service is through CableONE "Business class" DOCSIS 3 and is rated at 30/2 with a static address. The modem is a Motorola Surfboard 6121. This model was recommend by the ISP and installer. There are no splitters on the line anywhere or TVs hooked up, just the grounding block outside. The service worked well the the first few weeks.

The last few months it has gotten progressively worse. The latency is all over the place on a constant ping to any address varying from 70-150ms and anywhere in between to the same IP. It never settles. Maybe this is normal with cable and I'm just used to consistent ping with DSL? It is difficult to get smooth streams for sites like twitch and youtube. Traffic flow past the modem stops completely, can;t even get to the WAN gateway, but only sometimes does the upload and download link lights start flashing. Restarting the modem fixes it for a minute sometimes, sometimes not, it just comes back on it's own. I have tried running the modem through a SOHO linksys router, a Cisco ASA 5510, a pfsense VM and an Untangle VM. They all exhibit the same behavior. I have called Cableone and they say the line and equipment looks good. I replaced the modem for good measure but it didn't seem to make a difference. I did notice the download link light is blue but the upload link light is green. This should mean I have multiple download channels if I understand this correctly but only 1 upload channel. I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it but the phone tech said it's ok. I am kind of at a loss here... Here is a screenshot of the modem status page, does anything stick out as odd? Sorry I'm not much of an expert on these things yet :).
8AmQwl3.png

Last edited:
While I know it can be frowned upon to send to another forum, I've found the dslreports message boards to be incredibly helpful with ISP issues.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cover,1970

Is the link to the cable one section. I personally have Wide Open West which has a tech that visits very regularly and has bee incredible with fixing issues for myself and others there. I would hope that C1 also has someone like that there.

FWIW here is my configuration page:

I have the 50/5 service from WOW and I use a self-purchased SB6120, so the older sibling to your model.

oaHeYas.png

Well ideally you want as close to zero as possible, anywhere from -12db to 12db is acceptable. 7 and 8 aren't too bad. And the SNR is good as well. All your levels are acceptable and good really.

What is your router configuration? Modem doing the routing? Bridged mode with a router? Or are you doing double nat?

Back