• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gaming build, Win 7, 8.1 or 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll stick with 7 and wait to see what pple say about 10.

Why is Windows 7 your favorite when [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] looks identical but is slightly faster?

Saw a funny one earlier today by the way :D :

Yeah, for the life of me I don't understand why every Windows 8.1 user who hates the metro interface has not employed Classic Shell. It essentially turns the Windows 8/8.1 into a Windows 7 GUI.

That picture is really funny, thanks for sharing c627. :)

But I'll dispute the slightly faster part. I've looked at the benchmarks, and they're within the margin of error as far as speed goes. And if you already have 7, why buy 8?

lol
No you would not buy Win 8 or Win 10 for that matter. You would stay with Win 7.

But given an equal choice, you would choose Win8 or Win10 and install Classic Shell on both (unless you are in the tech minority who prefers Metro on non-touch screen PCs).
I absolutely agree that the speed is not anything spectacular enough to warrant paying for the upgrade.
I have identical multiple boots and can reboot from Windows 8 to Windows 7 and from verified personal experience can tell you there is a speed difference you can feel. Windows 8 is snappier.

The entire discussion of Classic Shell centers of it removing the 9.9/10 complaints about Windows 8 and doing so in mere seconds without removing Metro.
The program allows Windows 8 to instantly switch between Metro and Win7-GUI. Once again, we would not be talking about people actually choosing Windows 7 over Windows 8, given an equal choice, if Microsoft offered Classic Shell choice natively.

This way, as trents pointed out, you can recognize people who never installed Classic Shell properly - they are the ones criticizing Windows 8 ! :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that windows 8 will stop feeling snappy when the number of updates it has gets to the level windows 7 is it. I was recently forced to do a full re-install (don't ask, ugh), and was amazed at how snappy windows 7 felt. It was like OS9 all over again!
Then I installed all the updates. Back to not snappy :(

I also want to clarify that I agree with your point, that windows 8 can be made to work fine. It's the base install that stinks, and the intent behind it.

Also, I think the start menu in windows 10 has potential. Do you guys like it?

You need to get into the business of frequent reimaging to get the maximum ''snappy" effect.

I will not be doing 10 until RTM release but I don't see why that is relevant any more. Why allow Microsoft to decide about our Start Menu ever again?!
Classic Shell gives us both default and freedom to customize. Microsoft and 'customizations' are contradiction in terms!

Last edited:
I'd run 7, until they get 10 stable. After they release it, it will be quite buggy, and awkward. After 6 months it may be relatively efficient, but I wouldn't touch 8, tried it on my last pc, and it was HORRIBLE! I could hardly figure out how to do a friggin thing on it. I came from XP, tried 8, couldn't do anything, went to 7, and am kinda sorta happy. It still isn't XP, but it's useable, and rather familiar. Hopefully with 10, it's familiar to this style OS. I didn't miss out on hearing anything about Windows 9 did I? Haven't Googled it, but didn't even know anything about 10 coming out soon, but I don't pay attention to Windows, because basically every time they "upgrade" they ruin many things. Though every other "upgrade" isn't that bad from what I can recall, 95 was ok, think 98 was basically 95, me/2000 kinda sucked, XP was perfect, Vista, hell no, 7, not bad, 8, hell no, 9, does it exist?

There has been talk about a low cost/no cost upgrade from 8.1 to 10. I'm not sure if this will apply to 7. If you are a student, you might be able to get MS operating systems, and other software through your school.

I wouldn't touch 8, tried it on my last pc, and it was HORRIBLE! I could hardly figure out how to do a friggin thing on it. I came from XP.

You are not alone. More than 50% of people (and therefore the majority of people) 'can hardly figure out how to do a friggin thing on it'. Creators of Metro did well, it's their supervisors who did not give people like you the OPTION to use one or the other that messed up and destroyed the Windows 8 project by not including Classic Shell option, just the option.

Luckily there is a fix for their shortsightedness. Here's a custom Windows XP Start Button I made from scratch for Windows 8. You can use it with Classic Shell and be in [Windows XP - looking] heaven on Windows 8, just install Classic Shell.
Click on this link for a previous post on how to get it to work: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/752525-How-do-you-install-classic-shell-in-Win-8-1

Attachments

• Windows XP.png
    Windows XP.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
So I can feel like I'm using XP, but my computer will feel like it's using 8?!?!? Though with my old comp, 8 didn't like my sound card, but I built a new comp maybe 6 weeks ago, and am sure everything for this is compatible, my old comp was built 7 yrs ago lol. I have 8 laying around here somewhere, might have to check that out then... I like 7, but would love to be able to have the newest directx, but my 7970 only uses up to directx 11.2 according to AMD website, so do I have anything to gain by switching?

You should not invest $ or too much time to upgrade from a perfectly working Windows 7 but if you have an equal choice from scratch? Windows 8 absolutely!

So I can feel like I'm using XP, but my computer will feel like it's using 8?!?!?

Yes!! Here are my Windows 8 screen shots right now ;).

WinXPinsideWin8.png

SHIFT+Click on this "Windows XP" Start Button and you are inside regular Windows 8 Metro. It is still there. Nothing has been disabled.
But if you do not SHIFT+Click, then you never *ever* see any of the things that annoy you. If you just click on the start button without holding SHIFT - it works as a fully customizable Windows XP start menu.

I even went a step further and installed "better than Windows XP" Windows XP Explorer buttons on Windows 8:

Attachments

• WinXPinsideWin8Explorer.png
    WinXPinsideWin8Explorer.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Windows 8 + Classic Shell is like Windows XP
Windows 10 will have a start button but will still require Classic Shell making it pointless to wait for Windows 10 when [Windows 8 or 10] + Classic Shell is better (for you) than either Windows without Classic Shell.

Stay with Windows 7. I have 7 on my desktop and 8.1 on my laptop. Although I am using Classic Shell with Windows 8.1, I still miss the AERO feature that's present in 7. I wish Microsoft brings AERO back in Windows 10. :(

Stay with Windows 7. I have 7 on my desktop and 8.1 on my laptop. Although I am using Classic Shell with Windows 8.1, I still miss the AERO feature that's present in 7. I wish Microsoft brings AERO back in Windows 10. :(

I disabled it, because I believe it absorbs some of your ram, gpu, and probably cpu, and frankly, I don't need the background to look special, I never see it, so I don't care lol. I always have something open, so that stuff doesn't matter to me. However, I do believe I'm going to hold off on updating until 10 rolls around, because I hear it's supposed to basically be XP, and don't want to waste more money on my comp, after I've built it, then quickly replaced so much of what I started with... In a bit over a month I replaced the GPU, ordered a new CPU, and in another few months they're both being replaced again, along with RAM, and the HDD will be a SSD

Windows 10 has a start button - the only thing that 'basically makes it XP'.
However, Custom Shell lets you customize which Start Button you want so you have a choice of having just one Windows 10 Start Button vs. a choice of thousands that people have made so far, look: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

Back