• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^Sure it will be a waste of money ;)

And no, I won't say I want a future proof solution!:p

I am sure these x99 are more fun to overclock than the 1150/1155 platforms.

A new toy to play with!

Thanks for the advice on the cooler. I'll have a look at some 240/280 AIO.

Exactly.

ASRock-X99-Extreme-4-Motherboard.jpg

Board has what looks like a decent power delivery section. Should be a fun overclocking platform. Plus you get an ultra M.2 slot. Can't argue with that. Full length too. Audio section also looks half decent. Not a bad board for the price.

I'm looking at the X99-E WS for my personal 5820 rig but that's because I'm crazy and I buy boards that cost more than the CPUs that will live on them...

Any thought on the ASRock Z97M-OC-FORMULA?

Hi,

I am finally about to press the trigger on a z97 system and I was thinking of this mobo.

Does anyone tried/uses it?

I havent used that specific board, but have been pretty happy with asrock lately. switched from using asus boards over rma issues 2 times in a row. I would think that you would be good to go, but thats just a guess based on previous exp

I agree with you for Asrock mobos' quality.

I had 2 of them (z68 Fatality pro and z77 fatality pro-m) and have been very satisfied.

I'd like to build a mATX rig and wth 8 power phases, I think this one is the way to go.

Well, budget's finally tighter than I thought and I would have to wait too long for the DDR4, so I've decide to take the z97 road.

And this will allow me to get a new HSF as well.

The Raijintek Nemesis look great and mobo+4790k+cooler fits exactly in the voucher value.

I haven't used that one, but the Z87, both full size and the mATX were champs.

EDIT: Merged mobo thread with generic build thread. ;)

Thanks!

That's the one I'll go for then.

No reason the z97 is not as good.

Z87M OCF is better than Z97M OCF. Simple reason is that Z97M is not designed for extreme overclocking. There are no buttons onboard, no diagnostic LEDs, only single BIOS ( when Z87M had 2 with manual switch ) etc. Z97M OCF is good but is missing some things that you can find on other boards. Probably that's why price was also lower.
If you can live without these couple of things then Z97M OCF is good motherboard but for me it wasn't good enough.

ASUS Maximus V Gene was better and had all that I was missing in Z97M OCF but also cost more.
Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force is nice board in reasonable price but it's full atx and doesn't have M.2 slots if you think to use one.

Last edited:
Thanks Woomack.

I don't plan on doing extreme OC anyway, as it will be my main rig.

I like the 8 phases design, and prefer Asrock to Asus in many ways.

I still liked Z87M OCF more than Z97M OCF or ASUS MVG. These ASRock boards like every memory even ECC and it's really easy to overclock any memory manually or using profiles. ASRock is testing memory on average kits, not like ASUS on cherry picked samples that are working always better than your memory. Now I have ASUS RVE and there is many more profiles than usual ... somehow none of them are working with my Micron or Hynix memory ( and there is like 12 profiles ).

Thing is that I won't even delid the 4790k, as I plan on selling it and getting a Brroadwell when available, and I am afraid the latest one will not run on the Z87 chipset, even with a bios update...

Really noone knows what we will get and if it's going to work on Z97 boards. On official slides we could see broadwell only in mobile and non K chips not to mention that most are BGA ( read probably soldered onboard ). We could also see info it will probably support DDR4 but then we would need 2 different chipsets. Skylake will support DDR4 but there is also no word about K series chips and most of them are BGA.
I was talking with couple manufacturers but also with benchmarking software representatives and so far none of them is sure what we get. Intel will probably delay next chips anyway.
Market is working against overclocking and PC idea and all will go into small, compact computers without big chances to upgrade.

I'm not saying that Z97 is bad idea but we simply don't know what we really get in couple of months. Look how market looks right now. Memory manufacturers were pushing Intel to release DDR4 chipset but when X99 is available then we can barely get any DDR4 memory and manufacturers have problems with stock or even review samples. Some manufacturers moved all their stock to sales and are not providing any samples.
We need mainstream DDR4 platform to lower general prices but computers are not selling good as even 2-3 years PC is able to run almost everything without issues. We simply stuck between older stuff that is still good and new stuff that all wish to have but see no special point except that would be nice to have a new toy.

Last edited:
Mmm, interesting...

Well, if they launch a "k" version, good.

If not, I'll sell the CPU/MoBo/DDR combo when Skylake's out (second semester 2015 I believe).

I should not loose that much money.

So, receive that this morning.

So far, not a bad CPU, [email protected]/1.225v.

No tweaking at all, set the multiu to 46 and the vCore to 1.25. Max temp in th emid 80's with the RAIJINTEK cooler with 23°C ambient (that's after 20 min).

DSC_0029.JPG
4.5.jpg

Back