• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GBUILD - I can help you create a Gaming Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beta4K

Hi Guys!

Basically, just like the title says, I can help you build your gaming computer. For the past 2 and a 1/2 weeks, I’ve been developing this program called Gaming Build or GBuild. Essentially what it does is that it helps you organize and easily helps you build your gaming computer. Without needing to open up a note file and start typing stuff and saying what each part you need instead you can use GBuild.

GBuild

With GBuild, you can create a new build, add parts to it such as processor, graphics, RAM etc. and then save the build. Access the build later on and then make changes when needed and once you want to go buy the parts you can just open the build and save a summary file as a text file and print it or email it or whatever. At the end of the day, it’s easy and organized and will help you build a killer gaming PC.

All you need to do is basically know which part and where you can get it from and just put those details in and you’re good to go! Below are some of the images of the program just to show you what I’m talking about.

GBuild Pictures
1.png
3.png
2.png
4.png
5.png

A Bit more Info!

Finally, I hope you use this program and it helps you and have fun using it!!! because I sure had fun developing it! By the end of this year, I too will be saving up for a Gaming build and hopefully buy parts and build it. You can show your support by donating however much you want :). It would be greatly appreciated! To get it go to the link below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to tell you, PCPartPicker already does this... but more automated.
And lets you save builds online and share with other people.

Totally, but let's say GBuild is much more of a simpler more straightforward program for users specially noobs. It also doesn't really need an internet connection and you can save builds onto your computer and onto a text file. The only time you would need to use the internet is just to check prices from specific stores when ordering or going to buy. It's a dumb down version of PcPartPicker.

PCPartPicker already lets you export a parts list, which can be used offline.
It's already simple and it checks part compatibility making it "noob" friendly.
It even does the price checking for you.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here...

I'll just leave it at personal preference. If people wish to use the program it's fine, same goes with PCPartPicker, I just wanted to develop a program and distribute it to the community just to see how it goes.At the end of the day it's upto the user to use it right? :)

Last edited:
You mentioned yourself that this is a dumbed down version of PCPP... why would I want to use an inferior solution?

How would this work if no internet is required in that, how would you get the latest pricing and products to choose from?

Seeing as pcpartpicker already has a great track record and a whole lot more well known in my opinion this new one doesn't sound to promising as of now. Plus there are multiple others you can find on google that do the exact same thing.

...and with PCPartpicker I don't need to download a third party program from an unknown, potentialy harmful site.

It's a good attempt, but unfortunatly I don't see it having any use. Honestly, the best thing a noob on this site can do is post in our General Hardware section and ask for help. The knowledge here will beat any program written. Programs won't be able to tell you that the EVGA PSU is better than the Rosewill. This is just an example of course.

You probably spent a lot of time to make a very useful program that you thought could be both fun to do and be rewarding both as you program it and financially later on.

But they are pummeling you because professional companies already created a free program that does exactly what yours does and more.
The 'advantage' of it being noob-friendly can hardly fly on this particular overclockers forum because member base here is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to computer hardware (and software)... so they're not looking for noob-friendly. As far as as it seems, that is your pitch (noob-friendly).

You probably spent a lot of time to make a very useful program that you thought could be both fun to do and be rewarding both as you program it and financially later on.

But they are pummeling you because professional companies already created a free program that does exactly what yours does and more.
The 'advantage' of it being noob-friendly can hardly fly on this particular overclockers forum because member base here is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to computer hardware (and software)... so they're not looking for noob-friendly. As far as as it seems, that is your pitch (noob-friendly).

It is still true, however, that we get a significant number of inexperienced builders who come to us for advice about what parts to get for a gaming build.

I guess I am waiting for the answer regarding how this program updates pricing and new/obsolete products if it is an 'offline' program.

And also, how is this any more noob friendly than PCPP? Noobs come in here with PCPP lists already.

The product may be good, but the marketing needs a bit of work! :p

I guess I am waiting for the answer regarding how this program updates pricing and new/obsolete products if it is an 'offline' program.

And also, how is this any more noob friendly than PCPP? Noobs come in here with PCPP lists already.

The product may be good, but the marketing needs a bit of work! :p

Hey there, Sorry for taking soo long just been busy with school. It doesnt. Simple as that and basically it's not automated. You will have to copy and paste the prices and due to knowledge limitations I don't know how to implement that "auto function". I know this isn't the best program and what you've wanted but I'd have rather tried and failed with this program rather than not tried and known the result. This really does help me. All the feedback you've given !

Don't give up!

I have one for you: Notepad Clone with Spell Check out of the box.
Can you create an open source Notepad clone... and then just add an open source spell checker to it? In other words, a Notepad equivalent which would have red squiggly lines under your misspelled words so that you can just create universal .txt files quickly.

Hear me out before jumping to conclusions. I have been looking for that since Internet begun. Notepad++ can be set up that way but it is a *nightmare* to use.

You may think that there is a simple Notepad equivalent with spell checker out there, but there isn't. You would have to spend an hour or more figuring out how to modify it and then simple things like changing the display font would be (literally) impossible to find for an average user on it.

So make Notepad than can do this out of the box with Spellchecker already installed:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...epad-Review-Spell-Checker-for-Windows-Notepad

Doesn't wordpad do that?

@ beta - yes! Don't give up! This is more than I could ever do!

Notepad++ also ;)

Agreed, don't give up, we're trying to give constructive criticism.
Emulating things like C627 suggested are a great way to practice on your own (and maybe provide an improved alternative to a software) to build skills for your original ideas.

WordPad has no spellcheck.

And unmodified Notepad++ is an example of how not to be user-friendly. It took forever to modify it but the jungle of menus is still there.

No one has ever made a simple Notepad clone that has a Spellcheker built in out of the box. Friends+family computers have both MS Office and WordPerfect loaded but 9/10 times they all all fire up my modified Notepad++ from the task bar because it's quicker and simpler for simple text.

I say to the original poster: Let's do that, and I already have the modification files for Notepad++ and release that as freeware, it will have tens of thousands of users and I predict eventually in the millions. So there's a project for you. I stopped short of doing it because I didn't have your zest for programming a Notepad++ clone. I spent time doing other video related things but if you have the will, let's go and do this, what do you say?

Back