• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question about PWM fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmguigamf

I have had this build since July, 2012, and was thinking of upgrading some, since I'll get a new job next january.

Current build:
i5 3570k
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
MSI GTX 670 Power Edition
CM 690 II Adv. White (w/ side window) - stock fans
Antec HCG 520

What I'm thinking of getting (i5 and Mobo will stay the same)
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (probably... will decide for real when I'm actually buying the parts, next year).
Corsair 760T
Corsair AX760i (mostly for headroom for GPUs in the future. I know HCG 520 can handle one single GTX 970, but still, not that comfortable).

So, seeing as 760T has more fan slots, and its stock fans are okay, but not great at all (2 front fans intake x 1 rear fan exhaust), I began to search for some fans. That's when I found CM's XtraFlo, Akasa's Viper (unfortunately, no LED, but huge static pressure and CFM for the price point), Noctua's NF-A14 (silent, but a bit expensive and ugly, though) and Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED.

I first thought of only getting XtraFlo (PWM), then Spectre Pro LED, but now I'm leaning towards an all-Viper (6x, with 3 exhaust fans on top, or maybe only 5x, with 2 on top) build. The problem, here, is that Viper is PWM, which, according to Swiftech's article, could be damaged and have its lifespan shortened without a proper PWM fan controller (Lamptron FC-2, which is recommended so often, is not for PWM fans). Also, it's only somewhat less ugly than Noctua NF-14, and none of them have LEDs, which would kinda defeat the purpose of having a side panel like 760T's.

Basically, what I'm getting at is:

- Is it really that bad to put PWM fans on normal fan controllers? Not nearly enough motherboard fan headers, so that's not an option.
- Vipers are the least expensive for me (could get them on a national store, instead of having to import them, like I'd do with XtraFlo, Spectre Pro and NF-14). Are they worth it? Or should I get one or some of the others instead, and use Vipers only for front intake (because of the static pressure)?

Skip the Corsair PSU, it's overpriced.
Look at the EVGA SuperNova G2 750W.

I'd go with five of the Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM (different colors, take a look)
And a Swiftech PWM Splitter to control all five at the same time.

Corsair AX760i (mostly for headroom for GPUs in the future. I know HCG 520 can handle one single GTX 970, but still, not that comfortable).
That PSU will handle any single GPU and overclocking both the GPU and the the CPU. You should especially feel comfortable with a single 970 in there as it is only what, 160W? You CPU is 84, and leave 50W or so for the rest... ;)

I never heard of PWM fans being damaged on a regular header, but that is not my cup of tea either.

Skip the Corsair PSU, it's overpriced.
Look at the EVGA SuperNova G2 750W.

I'd go with five of the Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM (different colors, take a look)
And a Swiftech PWM Splitter to control all five at the same time.

Will do. That EVGA, from what I gather, is 100~150$ cheaper than AX760i (where I live) right now. That will save me a couple of bucks, thanks!

About those fans, they sound great and look better than Noctua's beige ones. I found these available:

http://www.waz.com.br/componente/re...e-14cm-noctua-nf-p14s-redux-1500-pwm-box.html
and
http://www.waz.com.br/componente/re...e-14cm-noctua-nf-p14r-redux-1500-pwm-box.html

What's the difference?

And the PWM splitter, do I connect it to the motherboard? Cause it seems to cause overheat problems on some boards, and mine isn't that great to begin with.

That PSU will handle any single GPU and overclocking both the GPU and the the CPU. You should especially feel comfortable with a single 970 in there as it is only what, 160W? You CPU is 84, and leave 50W or so for the rest... ;)

I never heard of PWM fans being damaged on a regular header, but that is not my cup of tea either.

What isn't your cup of tea, PWM fans? Why? Most good fans now seem to be PWM...

Meaning my knowledge isn't so great on PWM fans and answering your question. I could care less how I control my fans (which are all voltage controlled and good fans ;)).

The S is a square frame and the R is a round frame.
I'd go square frame, it'll mount to the 140mm holes and block off any unused area.
The round frame will mount to 120mm holes and leave some of the vent uncovered.

The PWM splitter gets power from the PSU and the control signal from the motherboard.
It won't cause motherboard overheating.

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

Back