• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will this cool my system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcar

Registered
my system
CPU= amd FX9590
M\B= Asus Crosshair formula-z
GPU= Msi R9-295X2
ram= Gskill Trident-x 16gb 2400
psu= Corsair AX-1200i
ssd= samsung EVO 500gb
case= Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614
OS= Windows 8.1
I'm running 3- ASUS 24" 144hz 1ms 1080p monitors
used for gaming coding and mild overclocking.

I'm looking at the following.
Capture.PNG
is this over kill ??
this will be my first custom water loop so I'm a bit nervous about it. your input is very appreciated.

The board block is useless.

And what about the radiators?

WIth a 9590 and a 295X2, you need at least 7 to 9x120mm.

Have you read the stickies in the water cooling section?

oops forgot I would like recommendations on a rad or rads my case will hold a 360 and a 240 together would this system require both or would a single 360 suffice??

I've been reading through the stickys LOTS of info...
dang that much rad?? I would have to go outside the case for sure.

You'll be cutting it close with both a 360 and 240, honestly.

How quiet are you trying to get this system?

Your CPU is 225W, the GPU is something like 500W...

2x360 would be the very least IMO.

well the quieter the better but I can deal with some noise, I was just looking at the specs for my case and I might just be able to fit that much rad in there but it will require at least 2 if not 3 different rads,, my case will be here thursday so I can get a better look at it.

I'd go with a 240 in the front, a 240 in the bottom, and a 360 in the top for your case.
That'll let you get nice and quiet too.

thanks for the info, I am curious about the board block I know on my sabertooth with an 8320 when I push it the VRM section gets quite hot. I know you said the board block was useless but is this due to it being ineffective or just not needed or is the CHF-Z just better at dissipating the heat ? just curious thanks.

Man, my bad, forgot about this one, lol!

Yes, might not be such a bad idea, even if usually, a small fan blowing air on the VRM heatsink is enough if getting to hot.

It was not necessary on my Sabertooth, as even if getting hot, it never became "too" hot or unstable (was with a 8120).

agreed an 80mm fan blowing on the vrm section and another blowing on the back of the cpu socket did wonders on my sabortooth but I figured if I'm water cooling this rig anyway then why not add the board block, given what I'm already spending on this thing it really isnt much of increase in money. but wanted to clarify whether it would work.
this is my first venture into real water cooling and with the money it's costing I'm starting to get nauseous lol. just really wanting everything to work right. thanks again for the help.

you don't need, nor want a board block, just get a fan blowing on it, the board block just restricts the coolant flow.
on the back side of the socket, you want that fan to be installed as exaust, with just enough flow to remove any heat that builds up.
I ran my 8350 at 5.6 and never had to think about a block for the motherboard, I will admit, they look really cool.

so I guess it's going to look really cool:bang head what I get for pulling the trigger too fast ohh well I'll give it a try and see how it works. here's what I got is there anything else you guys think I might need??
Capture2.PNG

I'm not sure why you have a $275 pump/res combo, that's ridiculously expensive.

Get rid of that coolant and get a silver kill coil. Just use distilled water for the fluid.

As manu said, you're going to need some SERIOUS FANS (Read: LOUD) to get air through those radiators.
I suggest lower FPI also, something 15 and under will be nice with some quiet fans.

its not coolant just a biocide 1-2 drops only with distilled water, would the silver coil be better? I read enough to know not to use coolant or dyes in it. I didnt think about the fan\noise issue I was just figuring higher FPI= more surface area = more cooling am I correct with that logic?? I was thinking to use the SP120 quiet series fans from corsair there designed for high static pressure and quiet plus I have a few left over from another build would these work??? once again thanks for the help guys.

Biocide does just fine as well, I need more coffee apparently :p

Yes, the higher the FPI the higher the cooling potential, but those SP120 Quiet fans are garbage for high FPI radiators.
35FPI is going to be a LOT louder than 15FPI. A whole lot.

got it thanks, i'll call frozencpu this morning and see if they can switch them out.

Not being rude, but I think you did not do enough research: you threw quite a lot of money in the WC loop, that you could have spent in a higher end system (like instead of a 9590/295 setup a x99/5930k...).

I hope for you you can switch the order...

Back