• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade from i5 3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLoki

So, my little brother is looking at getting some new hardware... this gives me a fantastic excuse to upgrade and give him some good stuff all cheap-like. :p

My current rig is in my signature; I have a few upgrade paths that I could take..

• Haswell -- i7 4770k + Z97 mobo
  • Ivy Bridge-E -- i7 4820k/4930k + X79 mobo
  • Haswell-E -- i7 5820k + X99 mobo
  • Wait for Broadwell
  • Wait for Skylake

I'm not sure Ivy Bridge-E is enough of an upgrade to justify the expenditure, but it's still an option.
Haswell vs Haswell E though is a little tougher for me to decide. The biggest difference (outside of the 6/8 core cpus) that I see is DDR4 memory, and price.

My budget is pretty flexible. If the performance is justifiably better, I can work out funds over time to make it work.

I'm wanting to go i7 this time around, rather than i5. Thanks to the new consoles, multithreading is becoming more commonplace in PC gaming, with many new games requiring at least a quad core, and recommending 6-8 cores. I would like to get out ahead of that and build this set up to last for another few years at least. Outside of gaming, I am a developer, and while most of my development does happen at work, I do work on some personal projects from time to time.

With the thought in mind that I'd like to move up to at least a hyperthreaded quadcore, do you all think Haswell-E is enough of an improvement to justify upgrading? More so, I guess is it really worth spending the extra money on the platform given prices on DDR4 and the Haswell-E CPU's?

It just seems like an odd time to be upgrading, given that Broadwell is right around the corner, and Skylake isn't supposed to be far behind that. However, the upgrade bug has bitten me pretty hard now that my brother has mentioned he wants some better stuff... lol. What do you guys think?

Probably not 12. I'm coding mostly in Visual Studio, and occasionally in Eclipse or similar if I'm working on an Android project.
I have been toying with UE4 lately however, and capability for more hardware threads may be beneficial there.

Stick to a 4790K then unless you want to wait for Broadwell/Skylake.

How much are you reusing and what is your budget?

I am comfortable spending $1k to $1500, though less is better, of course :). My brother is going to be getting my CPU/mobo and at least some of my memory (depending on the upgrade path I ultimately go with) I'll likely be reusing very little, if any as far as the core platform itself goes. My case, GPU, SSD/HDDs and PSU will all be reused.

Thanks for the input! That site is incredibly useful btw, so thanks for that as well :)

Thanks for the input! That site is incredibly useful btw, so thanks for that as well :)

Imagine how useful it is when you're showing people builds every day!!

Glad to be able to help :)

http://www.frys.com/product/8133815 same cost for hex cpu, if you were inclinded to pay the extra 100-125 dollars for an entry level x99 board and ddr4.

Edit: never mind. They appear to be out of stock online so you would have to have one by you with it now.

Honestly, the only reason I'm still considering Haswell-E after having done some research is because it really wouldn't cost me too much more to get into a Haswell-E set up. $60 more on the CPU, $100 more on the memory, and maybe a bit more on the motherboard, but it's still possible to find an X99 motherboard for a reasonable price.

However, if I keep most of my current memory, the 4970k platform is a lot cheaper for me to move into, and that may end up being the deciding factor, because I have some other plans for this system that aren't exactly cheap >.<

I would keep 16GB of the RAM and pass 8GB to your brother, personally.

I'm leaning pretty heavily that way. Saves me a bunch of money over going Haswell-E and in that respect opens up some funds for the other projects I want to work on.

Back