• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wires / cable size/thickness?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
I am currently working on my 24pin ATX cable (making a brand new one).

The problem I have run into a problem.

I noticed that a few of the cables are thicker than the rest.

I basically need to know.

I made a small 24pin switch cable, so all cables in the long 24pin will run from pin 1 to pin 1, and 2 to to 2, and so on.

I have 2 options of cables. I need to know if i need to find a third?

DSC_0064 (Medium).JPG

The Corsair one has many more "wires" inside, than the thick cable I have, but the Copper cable has many "wires" as well, but the wrapping is thinner.

Can someone tell me how I should proceed?

I spoke to the in house electrician at work today.

I have 0.75 cable, its copper, while the Corsair looks like aluminium, i dont know what size.

The copper should be better, and he thinks i should be fine with the 0.75. But input would still be nice.

the copper seems to have more conductors and copper is a better conductor. but the picture isnt that great to be able to tell much more.
alot of times if a company is cheap enough to use ALU conductors they will also use less than spec then just use a thicker jacket to simulate larger wire. (depending on brand of course some alu or CCA wires will actually use alot more conductors to make up for the fact that it is alu or CCA)

Out of those wires you pictured there, I'd say the corsair, and what you used would be the better choices. The more strands of wire you have the more conductive surface you have over all, the copper would be better off over all due to it has better conductivity than aluminum or whatever the corsair wire is there.

All good. Seems to be in line with everything I have been able to read and learn.

The Corsair wires are from the Corsair braided kits, that I know see as complete rubbish after really working with them. The cables are very stiff, which could indicate aluminum or nichrome and also the thicker protection.

I will keep using the Copper.

Thanks for the response guys.

Last edited:
Electricians vary in qualifications about stuff unrelated to high voltage wiring.

The strands (tiny individual wires in the plastic insulation) are copper, whether they're copper colored or silvery. Silvery wires are tin-plated copper, the plating probably for corrosion protection, perhaps for crimp connections. I really, really doubt that aluminum wire is ever used for PC power supplies, and it makes no sense to use nichrome here because it costs more than copper but conducts electricity worse. I've seen aluminum used only for signal cables, like HDMI.

The first thing to do is try to poke the insulated wire into one of the openings in the plastic connector shell. If the insulated part doesn't go in easily, then you need thinner wire. Generally, #18 AWG (1.0mm) is fine, but if the power supply came with #20 AWG (0.81mm), don't worry.

easy way to tell, scrape the side of the silver wire with a razor or knife and see if there is a coppery tint inside, will be difficult to tell.

Back