• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a thermal throttling problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

Hello,

From the start...

I was overclocking and playing happily earlier today when a new cpu waterblock from ebay was delivered. I uninstalled the evo 212 and installed the waterloop with the new block. :cool: When I plug everything back in and fire it up everything looks good... but I'm stuck at .80ghz with 100% thermal throttling. :bang head Temps are in the very low 20's C and wont rise at all even under xtu or cinebench. I took the new block off and put it back on and nothing changed. I reset cmos and even left the battery out for an hour. UFEI BIOS is all at stock everything but still the same thing 100% tt. What shall I do? I cant figure this one out and need some guidance.

Thanks

gyukl.PNG

Last edited:
100% sure there is good to at least ok contact. I've uninstalled and re-installed it already but will do it again just to be absolutely sure. I guess.

Nightmare
bad.PNG

I removed it completely and re-installed it again and I am 110% sure it has good solid even contact. Could the heatsink be superbad and cause this to happen. I don't understand it. I turn the computer on and go directly to xtu + cpuz without passing go and collecting $200, I don't do anything to make it hot. I leave it sitting to "cool down" and nothing. I am still at 0.80ghz and confused.

Is it possible to damage the motherboard in a way that could cause this? I did damage the memory controller or something once before with this mother.

I might just fling the whole thing into the intracoastal waterway.

Did you remove the cpu from its socket when you added the block? I could see having a bent/shorted pin causing something like this.

Do multiple software programs agree that the chip is in the 20s but throttled to 800mhz under load? Like gpu-z and realtemp or coretemp.

I know it will be a pain but does the problem persist if you put the 212+ back on? It could be the block/backplate shorting on something or causing the board to bend just wrong.

And since its a water loop are you 100% certain you didn't get ANY water on the mobo when filling and leak testing. The tiniest amount of water in the smallest crevice can linger for hours or days depending on climate and cause all kinds of havok.

Any chance there is an air bubble stuck in the new heatsink ? Or part of the backing plate making contact with the mobo tray and something on the mobo ?

Did you remove the cpu from its socket when you added the block? I could see having a bent/shorted pin causing something like this.
This is what I was thinking also, or it just shifted when removing the 212?

I did not take the cpu out when I switched heatsinks. 1000% sure no water leaked anywhere, it has uv dye and i'm like a forensics team with the uv light.

No air bubbles.

I will re-seat the cpu in case it shifted.

And I do have a fan plugged in the header because I've actually been through that recently with a laptop with no fan plugged in.

These are all good ideas and I appreciate them.

I will try the 212 evo now. Pita? yes, Worth it? completely if It helps me figure this out.

I will take everything off the motherboard and start from scratch now to see if the motherboard is bent, touching or making contact it shouldnt.

It's ALIVE... It's ALIVE!!!

Thanks you all for your input, the throttling is gone.

I think it prob safe to say that I had a pinched nerve or something along those lines.. I re-installed the cm 212 evo and all was good so I re-installed new wwater heatsink and IT LIVES!!! with no throttling.

I will admit though when I took the cpu out to re-seat it it slipped from my fingers and landed right in the socket :mad: :eek: so I had to un-bend a couple pins that were not bent before, luckily that went smooth.

Thanks again all, I think this one is solved.

Temps are great so far, no oc yet but for stock clocks and volts i'm doing just fine.

thankyoulodjesudamen.PNG

I will put it under prime95 for a couple hours first to see what happens.

Back