• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Lowers A-Series APU Pricing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

In an effort to offer mainstream component system builders, upgraders, and DIY enthusiasts an opportunity to grab a new A-Series APU at a more attractive price, AMD has announced a pretty hefty price reduction. It could be the perfect time to grab a 12 compute core (4 CPU + 8 GPU) A-Series APU with HSA features (hUMA/hQ), full hardware support for DirectX 11.2, close to the metal API support (AMD Mantle), AMD TrueAudio, OpenCL 1.2, and OpenGL 4.4. Future plans include support for DX12, OpenCL 2.0, and Project FreeSync.

Click here to view the article.

I'm not sure if it's not too late for them as Intel already has better options in nearly every price point.

Still $200 for A10 7850 here in Canada ...... bit cheaper on the egg but not much.

Glad to see this. I've been trying to build a new Intel rig after years of having AMD but the cost is just out of hand for these Intel parts, so I'm leaning towards another AMD instead. Good to see AMD staying as a value option.

FYI: I just saw that Newegg has a $20 off coupon for the A10 6800K which brings it down to $119.

Glad to see this. I've been trying to build a new Intel rig after years of having AMD but the cost is just out of hand for these Intel parts, so I'm leaning towards another AMD instead. Good to see AMD staying as a value option.

FYI: I just saw that Newegg has a $20 off coupon for the A10 6800K which brings it down to $119.

That is a steal for what you get.

Newegg.ca just dropped the 7850 to 169 ....... hoping Canada computer follows suit.

Newegg.ca just dropped the 7850 to 169 ....... hoping Canada computer follows suit.

But knowing CC, they won't. They routinely price higher than newegg. On the bright side, I've always been able to get them to match newegg. They charge me the newegg price+ shipping price, which is usually pretty low and still works out better than the CC price.

Still, given that a decent APU is $170, and you can get a G3258 and a 750Ti for $190 (In the US at least), I feel like Intel is still a better buy for the "low end gamer" segment.

But knowing CC, they won't. They routinely price higher than newegg. On the bright side, I've always been able to get them to match newegg. They charge me the newegg price+ shipping price, which is usually pretty low and still works out better than the CC price.

Still, given that a decent APU is $170, and you can get a G3258 and a 750Ti for $190 (In the US at least), I feel like Intel is still a better buy for the "low end gamer" segment.

I don't game much, so gaming is not high on my priorities. For me a computer is for work or at least the work I through at it which is BLU-RAY video encoding. I had won a monthly draw at DAZMODE a while ago of a caselabs Mercury S5 case which unfortunately is an mATX case so I have been wanting to build a mATX build for a bit but my choices with intel at least with the new 2011v3 mATX is way to expensive and not interested in any of the older sockets. A board 300 + CPU 650 + memory 600 (the stuff I want), that's dam near as much as I spent on my whole FX 8350 rig with a custom loop tossed in to boot, almost. I am sticking with the 8350 for my encoding it does the job very well gonna build a A10 7850 rig for backup and storage / media server. Not sure how it will handle encodes but we shall see, boards already ordered will get the CPU when it comes in and I bet I can get the parts I need for less then the CPU or ram alone.

Last edited:
If the encoding relies on the CPU rather than the iGPU I'd go with a low end i5 for just a few bucks more than the A10 personally. I'm not a fanboy I just don't like what AMD has been up to in the CPU department over the past 6 years or so.

Back