• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is better and can i use it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ser0

Hey I am new here.. Thought i would join the community and learn a few things. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for checking out the post.
-Ser0

----G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory CAS [email protected]

Model id-- F3-2400C10D-16GTX

Model id-- CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R --
______

1st question... What will perform the best for gaming with my entire system on a stable game for days oc..

also the g.skill ram when selected gives me a notification from pcpartpicker.
---It reads:
"The G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."
________
Can i still utilize them at the 2400 @ cas 10 speeds or am i forced to drop voltage and speeds to compensate for the lack of voltage... I'm new to oc... can you not just add more voltage to the ram or does the ram and cpu share the voltage?

My Build so far
- Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24
-i5 4690k + liquid cooling
-Maximus Hero VII
-Asus Strix GTX 970
-Corsair AX 860i

Link to whole build
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tproia/saved/8fh2FT

G.Skill is better and you can use it without any issues on any Intel Z97 motherboard. Your board probably has it on the tested memory list ( I'm too lazy to check now but most ROG boards had it ).
1.5V is standard specification made by Intel but it doesn't say anything about maximum safe values. Maximum safe voltage for short period of time for DDR3 is over 1.9V. For longer usage all depends from used memory chips but I wouldn't run at more than ~1.75-1.8V.
1.65V is standard voltage used by memory manufacturers in most enthusiast and gaming memory series. If it wasn't safe then they wouldn't sell it.
Memory voltage is separate voltage and has nothing to do with CPU or memory controller ( which is in the CPU ).

Awesome! G.skill it is. So stoked after reading your response. Thanks for your guidance.

Back