• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA III Physical Switches?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ephemera

Registered
Hi,

Are there SATA III physical switches such that I can have a number of SSDs connected and select one before start up? As in a knob or a hub with individual switches (like there are for USB)

(It's always possible to power on / off on single SATA connections; but this would mean using up more connections...)

... ok I found SATA switches but all of them switch the power connections only. I guess each will have to be connected to SATA data ports stably and independently. But this way I'm limited by the number of data sockets. I was thinking of switching the data connection as well so as to have 'n' SSDs for a SATA socket.

Software would accomplish what you need to no? Just change the boot order in the UEFI is all you need to do.

Software would accomplish what you need to no? Just change the boot order in the UEFI is all you need to do.

Yes but pressing a switch is more convenient. Plus I want the PC to ignore the unselected OS (invisible one to the other, totally isolated)
Simple SATA data cables splitters would allow to keep many SSDs alternately powered one at a time, on a single port. Apparently they don't exist. (impossibility of multiple simultaneous devices on same port)

I've seen SAS-controller to SATA-devices cables might do (one SAS end split to many SATA) if I could convert the SAS end back to SATA with an adapter. If possible. Is that possible?

Otherwise I would need to install a PCI-E SATA controller to have additional ports.

There are SAS to SATA connectors, yep.

You can have them 'ignore' the other drives with an OS if you install them without the other drives in the system. Otherwise you will have that OS option menu pop up.

Back