• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780 waterblock fitting on a 980??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timesavage

Hey Gang, I recently sold my 780 in order to upgrade to the 980. The EK waterblocks look damn near the same. If the screw holes line up, and the block hits the GPU properly, are there any concerns to worry about??? Thanks

From what I can see, there are components moved around. The 780 block may fit, but I did look at them both, and they dont seem all the similar at all.

It won't fit. That's why sometimes is better to buy universal waterblock and don't waste money on full cover when you know that you will switch it in not far future. It's also hard to sell full covers in reasonable price.

+1.. it likely wont fit. Heights to the die may be different for example. You can try test mounting to see though...

Considering that 670 blocks fit some of the 970s it's worth looking into. But looking at the reference 780 pcb and the evga superclocked 980 pcb the 980 has a different arrangement for vrms. If you run the card with no cooling on the vrms and a full cover block that even blocks all of the airflow, you will kill your card, and if you are lucky only your card.

Back