• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bootable m.2 x4 maximus vii

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2950

simple question i cant find a definitive answer too

can i install windows 7 on the samsung xp941 or similar x4 m.2 ssd and the asus maximus vii mobo? (http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_IMPACT/overview/)

i was ready to buy until i saw in the notes on the asus website it says "M.2 slot supports PCIE mode storage device only" does this mean it can only be used as secondary storage device?

i noticed the z97i-plus has an m.2 x2 slot but says "It is the perfect choice for an operating system drive, making your whole PC work that much faster" but why would the cheaper model have the option to boot and the more expensive one wouldn't?

also put this in ssd section wasn't sure were to put it

One thread is plenty... deleted the other (duplicate threads only serve to confuse all involved contrary to popular thinking). This is the appropriate section since the SSD has nothing to do with it being able to boot or not.

As far as the answer, if it doesn't say bootable, it may not be. To be sure, you can email ASUS and see what they say. Please report back if you do that and nobody here definitively answers your question. :)

so i managed to do a live chat with asus support Untitled.png

looks like you can boot from the m.2 slot

also found this "Update 5/20: ASUS just sent me an email that all their Z97 based motherboards will get a BIOS update that enables booting from the XP941. The BIOS is currently in beta testing and ASUS is expecting public release in about two weeks." here (http://www.anandtech.com/show/8006/samsung-ssd-xp941-review-the-pcie-era-is-here/3)

so looks like it might work for any1 else in similar situation

News to me on those devices having to be bootable. I knew PCIe based SSD's did that, but not M.2!

Thanks for the update!

Back