• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8320 OC Windows Experience Index Crashes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrizz43

Hey guys,

I have been overclocking my fx8320 for a bit and trying to get the max stable OC. I am up to 4.5 GHZ with core voltage bumped up to 1.4v. I have an H110 cooling it so heat is not an issue. I have stress tested it for over 12 hours with prime 95 no issues. Played hours of games on it, no issues. But when I run my windows experience index and it gets to the CPU testing part, it FAILS. It doesn't crash the whole computer, just the WEI process stops and I can continue on my way. Has anyone run into this themselves or does anyone have any input on it? I turned off AMD cool n quiet in the bios so IDK if that is tested in the WEI. Thanks!

View attachment IBT AVX.zip

I would first suggest trying this out and see if it passes. Run 10 iterations on very high. This is the AVX version of IBT. I'm thinking it's possible that WEI tests some instruction set that P95 doesn't. It's worth a shot anyway.

The linline process for IBT failed after a few minutes. I am going to go back and try using the FSB to OC while keeping an eye on the RAM OC because right now I am just using the multiplier to get the OC. I will try to bump the voltage a little to see if it will be more stable. I want to stay under 1.45v for sure. Thanks for the tip!

I think another issue is my mobo because i am running an MSI 970a-g43 and they are notoriously bad for heat and overclocking as well as 8 core FX chips so I probably should get a new board or stop overlcocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think another issue is my mobo because i am running an MSI 970a-g43 and they are notoriously bad for heat and overclocking as well as 8 core FX chips so I probably should get a new board or stop overlcocking.
I had 2 Msi 970a G45's blow up on me overclocking a lot less demanding chip then my Fx 8350. I feel if you really want to Oc the 8320 a new motherboard is your best bet. Our resident RGone put this thread together for AMD users, it's a good read on what you need to know OCing these Fx chips.

Yeah. 4/5 phase unheatsinked power area and you are overclocking? I would go back to stock and get a new mobo for sure.

+2 on that one, just a problem waiting to happen

Maybe i should have led with that fact, thanks for the help. I'll be back once I get a new mobo!

Logic tells me to try it at stock speeds and see if it still bombs... If it does, start from your overclock and lower it until it doesn't. ;)

Back