• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Regarding the GTX 780 Hydro Copper Water Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
Anyone know how to take apart the GTX 780 Hydro Copper Water Block? I am in the process of cleaning and upgrading my rig and want to take apart the block after discovering blockage in my CPU water block and want to make sure the GPU WB is ok. Really upset with the buildup but that's a whole other thread. It's very possible the tubing was the culprit as it wasn't any growth. :bang head

Well here are some shots I took earlier.

After taking off the block I took the time and cleaned the GPU.

14981962693_9a738ce7f7_o.jpg

14981962623_6036f84a55_o.jpg

Here is the waterblock I am having trouble disassembling.

15415481329_e0428410a7_o.jpg

Took apart the CPU block to see what was going on.

15416116257_a347958fc3_o.jpg

15599448881_1ed351bfd8_o.jpg

15578434146_90e41c28f6_o.jpg

Really upset to see this "white stuff" in the CPU block which only gives me anxiety that there might be some in the GPU WB. I want to take it apart to make sure before I clean everything else up. Wondering if the rads and pumps have any of this stuff but time will tell. I think it might just be the small channel ways that caught this stuff overtime. The question than is, is this from the white PrimoChill Advanced LRT tubing I have been using for some time now? I believe it is. Did I get a bad batch? Possibly as I haven't heard too many complaints with this tubing. At the time of installing this white tubing I had bought another retail batch to have enough once I replaced the tubing overtime. Now that money wasted is in question if it will leach in the loop as well. Really upset to see this and better yet, I have upgraded stuff coming in today with PrimoChill Advanced LRT Bloodshed Red tubing. :bang head Lets hope that isn't a botched batch either.

Now I feel like I am in a dead end and don't know how to move on knowing I can't disassemble the GPU water block. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Have you tried running liquid through the GPU block in the reverse of your flow direction to see if anything came out?

Have you tried running liquid through the GPU block in the reverse of your flow direction to see if anything came out?

That is my last resort. Run a small loop on the side with a filter installed and see if anything comes out. Might even add the flow meter to the small loop to see the flow rate.

I really want to take this waterblock apart but can't figure out how. All the visible screws have been removed from the block but I feel there are more that are hidden. My guess it might be the sticker in the front of the block but I don't want to ruin the sticker in case I ever sell this thing or even RMA if something should go wrong with the GPU down the road. I really wish someone who has done this explained how. Its frustrating as I am in a standstill and still have more cleaning to do with the other parts. :rain: :censored:

Last edited:
Can't do it? Isn't there just hex/star screws to take the block apart?

Yeah. There were 4 in behind the EVGA logo by the inlets and outlets. I took 4 of those out and 4 screws to the side. I haven't forcefully tried taking it apart worry I might damage it.

Remembering how mine is made, I think they're under the front plate which is glued on.

Are you talking about the big EVGA front sticker?

Yeah I started pealing it off on one side and didn't like the way it was coming off and you had to use some force. Twos things can possibly happen if I went with it. One, the sticker doesn't stick back on once off and two, the sticker looks ridiculously warped once back on. I think I am just going to say screw it and install everything back on with fresh new paste on the GPU.

Should I add some paste on the other parts of the PCB other than the GPU? I've seen that done with the pads but not sure.

Also, I've heard if you get some paste to spill over from the GPU, on the surrounding areas, that you might cause a short? I read this somewhere and think it was a AMD GPU but not sure. Can anyone verify if some spill over it won't be an issue?

Btw, this is the first time ever taking a GPU apart lol, hence so many uncertainties and questions.

If there's a pad you don't need paste.

It depends what paste you're using.

I think I am going with MX-4 since its easier to apply than Gelit Extreme. What method do you use for GPUs? I was thinking of spreading it but I think I might go with the basics here.

I stuck with MX-4 and am finished. Cleaned up the pads and other contact places on the GPU. Checked the contact before tightening and it looked good.

Tomorrow I will be leak testing the GPU and hoping everything is tightly sealed even though I have the tendency to tighten the screws a extra bit as well as in the hopes that the CPU was the only one clogged up but we shall see.

As for the CPU waterblock, I am not sure what to use to clean it. I am thinking 50/50 distilled with vinegar but I am also eyeing the ketchup but not sure how I would make sure it is complete clean off from it. Do I use soap after the ketchup if I went that route?

Still upset with Primochill atm and will be using a new batch of red tubing from them. lol

Last edited:
For what its worth, that hydrocopper is a swiftech block and the swiftech titan block has 4 screws under where your evga sticker is on the acetal side that can easily be seen here http://www.swiftech.com/KOMODO-NV-GTXTITAN.aspx

I scrub my waterblock with ketchup or dilluted vinegar and a toothbrush, and once i think its clean enough just keep scrubbing while under the running faucet for 60-90 seconds. Hasnt been a problem for me yet.

How many yrs does it takes for the cpu waterblock to get stained like this?

It was from september of last year. So 13 months and the fluid was changed in between that. Oddly enough, as soon as I added the extra rad earlier this year is when the flow started to slowly deteriorate within 2-3 months. I remember each month the flow meter would display an average of .2 GPM in reduction.

After looking at the block again, there is a white mystic powdery substance at the inlets corner which tells me the tubing was breaking apart. That stuff basically accumulated which than caused the blockage to the channels. The CPU's inlet port was coming straight from the outlet of the GPU port.That there tells me its possible this had to pass through the GPU block. Another reason why I wanted to take the GPU block apart. Will be running a small loop on the GPU loop later once I get all the rads and pumps out of the case.

Tearing down CPU/GPU Block for cleaning. Do you guys generally reuse the O ring or buy new one? Where can you buy the specific O ring from?

I reuse if it isn't too old and doesn't show any wear.

I would source them from the manufacturer.

I think performancePCs might carry the o'rings too, depending on what block you have.

Back