• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4-Pin Fan Adapter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grande

Hi, one of very few posts for me.. Can anyone tell me what kind of adapter I need to buy to connect the two ends in the picture? This is from a fan in a 7970 video card. I bought a dual x fan but it's a vapor-x GPU so maybe that's why the two ends don't match up... although I don't know why the same brand would be proprietary to it's own brand :confused: :facepalm:

It looks like it is 4-pin to 4-pin and would be female to male (or male to female :rolleyes:) I tried just connecting the two ends but the pins on the male end are way to fat for the female (make your own jokes).

Thank you for any help.

GPU_fan_adapter.JPG

Cut 'em off, solder the wires together and heatshrink over the top.

Cut 'em off, solder the wires together and heatshrink over the top.

Fair enough, I can handle it. Does it matter what color goes to what? they don't quite match between plugs. I've got blue yellow red black on one and blue green yellow black on the other. I guess I'll just match up the red and green and match the rest.

Last edited:
Does it matter what color goes to what? they don't quite match between plugs. I've got blue yellow red black on one and blue green yellow black on the other. I guess I'll just match up the red and green and match the rest.
Always, wire color matters a lot. Almost always, black is ground, and red is the positive voltage. In the case of 12V fans, red usually means +12V, not +5V as it does with PC power supplies. The other wires are for RPM (an output from the fan, usually right next to the red +12V wire, probably yellow) and control (an input from the computer, maybe blue).

If you had to test, connect directly to ground and connect +12V through a 100 ohm resistor and momentarily connect to each other wire until the fan moves. 100 ohms should limit the current in case of a short, but it should be low enough to power the fan (AFIK, all 12V fans are designed to run as low as 6V, and some will start at 5V)

Back