• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed motherboard, now can't install windows.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HELLRIK

Hi, I had a crappy MSI motherboard MSI 970A-G43. It didn't do well with my amd fx-8350 so I bought a ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z instead.

I've installed the new motherboard and on startup it first said 'cpu fan error' and sent me to Advances BIOS. Everything looked good here and I went to exit to start windows. Windows wouldn't start and told me to repair. Repair didn't work and I turned off the system. Put in original Windows 7 CD and tried to boot new windows. First a repair the didn't work and then I tried to make new windows install. It tells me that I can't install windows on my SSD because 'The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks'. And now I'm stuck. Help?

I had somewhat the same issue with one of my ssd's before. I had deleted it, formatted it, and tried installing numerous times. I had to pull up command prompt once I pulled up the install screen and change the ssd format there.

I'll see if I can find what I did. There is a thread on here I had started.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/749510-Change-MBR-SSD-to-GPT

There is the link to the last thread. But instead of wasting time just lookup how to run diskpart in the command prompt during install and that "should" solve that issue. I had to do it once or twice. If I hadn't already been up 24 hrs I would probably remember.

Bingo.

You need to get to command prompt and use the diskpart utility.
There's a ton of guides on Google and I would typically link one, but I'm on mobile right now.

Bingo.

You need to get to command prompt and use the diskpart utility.
There's a ton of guides on Google and I would typically link one, but I'm on mobile right now.

Same here Ive been on mobile all night so I'm not a whole lot of help till later.

I have found with My CHV-z that if I set boot to ODD, insert windows disk and restsrt it tries to use UEFI set-up. SO you either wait till the press any key to boot from CD comes up the second time which will start you in legacy mode or go back in bios to boot menu and reset boot order to non UEFI ODD. For some reason it selects the UEFI first.

Back