• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does an SSD (Samsung XP941) heatsink need to actually touch the chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm thinking that SATA wattage is somewhat lower that PCIe wattage. Since SATA has historically powered components in the 0-30 watt range and PCIe is capable to around the 300 watt range I can see where the potential for heat is greater.

Saw this as well, a just for grins, throw it out for more discussion link:

http://www.amazon.com/M2P4A-PCIe-2-0-NGFF-Adapter/dp/B00IPO7YCU

The thing is, the faster PCI-E SSDs go, the hotter they'll get for the time being. XP941 being the hottest, is also the fastest in its class.

AND than there was SM951..........:rofl:

I knew about it prior to my purchase of the XP941 3 weeks ago and knew that I don't have M.2 PCI-E 3.0 as my MB (X99 Classified) only supports 2.0. Didn't know the 2.0 numbers would jump though. Oh wells, going through a whole ordeal of figuring out the warranty on there and why it said it had 3 years on newegg while selling an OEM and getting them to correct it and figuring out exactly what warranty I have on it, all the way to making this a boot drive as I had to spend extra cash I didn't want too but had to to make this work. So for those main reasons, I am going to keep it. LOL I think some of my hair changed color. Even bought extended warranty from the egg. This XP941 has cost me $680 (Includes a $40 discount) including the price of the XP941. (GASP!) I was only looking to spend $500 for this dam thing. Never happened.

Edit: Figured I'd add a review of one other's experience from the egg with this drive. Just a heads up for everyone before purchasing it.

OEM not Consumer SSD

Pros: Very fast drive with a very nice low profile design.

Cons:
Went to warranty my drive and found out from samsung that the XP941 is only sold as an OEM drive and about after 3 weeks of working with Newegg they also verified that they would have to be the ones to replace the drive since Samsung wouldn't cover it.

On a side note another con would be that it should have heatsinks since it does get very hot when stressed, but doesn't seem to degrade performance.

Other Thoughts: I gave this a 4 star review since the product was great in all respects, but the drive is being sold as a consumer based ssd on Newegg when in fact it is an OEM ssd and requires a lot of work to get it warrantied if it were to die.

Last edited:
Wow... my SSD's I've had are pretty cool overall even under heavy long loads. Then again those are 2.5" drives. Guessing those M slot cards get much warmer because of the smaller footprint.

Actually the XP941 can get to a boiling point if you're doing lots of work to it. Now I am wondering what are the best double sided adhesive thermal pads in the market and where can I find colored heatsinks that can fit nicely on the dimensions of the M.2 2280 form factor (XP941).

6372_68_samsung_sp941_512gb_m_2_pcie_ssd_review.png

Source

Edit: I found these heat sinks and thermal pads that were the closest fit I can find for the XP941 and look nice with the build. Will they stick together without falling when the MB is installed sideways and what do I do with the sticker on the XP941?
Well our scope didn't include m.2 SSD's... :p

I'm thinking that SATA wattage is somewhat lower that PCIe wattage. Since SATA has historically powered components in the 0-30 watt range and PCIe is capable to around the 300 watt range I can see where the potential for heat is greater.

Saw this as well, a just for grins, throw it out for more discussion link:

http://www.amazon.com/M2P4A-PCIe-2-0-NGFF-Adapter/dp/B00IPO7YCU
The PCIe slot can only provide 75W. That is the reason most GPU's have 6/8 pin connectors.

The PCIe slot can only provide 75W. That is the reason most GPU's have 6/8 pin connectors.

I Thought PCI-E 3.0 can provide 150W.

Edit: NM was thinking wrong it is 75W, PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 are the same power layouts.

Back