• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding USB ports to the front

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey You

Registered
I've recently acquired an ML03B from Silverstone that my microATX HTPC is expanding into. It's only got the two USB ports on the front and I was wondering if I could get some guidance on adding two more (maybe in the top.) The only 5.25" bay is already occupied by the BDR so a bay insert is not an option. I was hoping someone knew of a quality surface mount solution although I'm not afraid of picking up a drill or a dremel.

Thanks

Why not just get a usb 3.0 hub? Inexpensive, and you won't have to worry about ruining your case.

Why not just get a usb 3.0 hub?

Because of toddler. Having another box and at least a couple more wires running around to peak the interest of a 20 month old is not any better than a gaping hole in the side of an inexpensive case. If executed well, it won't ruin the case, hopefully.

if you are gonna have a bunch of things plugged in the front whats any different from a single usb hub cable vs 4 different device cables? since usb hub cable from a rear port to an accessible area on the desk where your kid cant get it.

if you are gonna have a bunch of things plugged in the front whats any different from a single usb hub cable vs 4 different device cables? since usb hub cable from a rear port to an accessible area on the desk where your kid cant get it.

I've currently got two usb ports on the front. Those are filled with those teeny tiny little receivers for the wireless stuff. I need the wireless receivers in the front because it's an HTPC in the living room and wireless keyboards don't always work at the range they're advertised for. I'm only looking for two more ports into which I can temporarily plug a thumb drive or a wireless controller.

Also, there is no desk. The PC is exactly as wide as my AV equipment and sits in the cabinet with that stuff.

Getting back to the question, does anyone know of a surface mount product or perhaps a video of a guy with a Dremel?

Back