• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is wrong with my 4790K ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoGotcha

Hello Everbody,

i got a new system and have some behaviour with Temperature/TDP that i dont understand. Maybe someone can explain this to me :-/

Mainboard is an Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 (Bios resetted to default) with 4790K.

At first i tried OC to 4.5Ghz just with multiplikators without any further change in Intel tuning utility.
Started Prime95, temperatures seemed to be stable at 65-70C° and 90W, but suddenly without any change the temperture rise to over 90C° and ~140W in about 10 seconds... (first peak in screenshot).

I panicked and stopped Prime95....

Then tried to resetting the multiplicators to default and started again, after a few minutes i got a similar behaviour (second and third peak in screenshot)

any ideas about this?

Thanks

Attachments

• 4790.png
    4790.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 222
Oh forgot to mention that. I got a EKL Alpenföhn Brocken 2 with the thermal paste that was included.
I did the usual thin layer of paste, but already tried less and some more.

When you say thin layer of paste do you mean that you spread it out across the cpu? I'm not familiar with either of those. But if you spread it yourself it is possible to get air pockets and that could be what is possibly causing the spike in temperatures.

Yes i spead it across the Cpu with an credit card, and double checked it. I am pretty shure thats not the problem.
But what about the suddenly increasing Power Consumption, up to 140W ? I thougt the CPU has a limit there..

If the temp is surging so will you wattage. First thing I would try is reapply thermal paste doing either the dot method or the x method

Just to be clear the 3rd and 4th temperature readings are at default clock speeds? What about the Screen shot of Hwmonitor is that at default? Reason being is it's showing 1.27 Cpu V max which seems a bit high to me for stock clocks on the I7 4790K. Additionally, how were you overclocking it?

I'm sure you would know more of what is causing it than I would mandrake. The thermal paste is all I could think it may be with what it's doing.

These chips are funny, they seem to be all over the place when it comes to heat. Even the 4790k's which have supposedly better TIM under the IHS as well as additional capacitors to help with the power delivery. They still seem to have the same issues as the 4770k like the one I have. Some just run hot, significantly hotter then one another. Mine in particular runs significantly hotter then another forum members. Mine on less voltage with better cooling runs 10-12c hotter then the one I've compared it to. That is with the same ambient temps. I have also seen boards push too much voltage for stock clocks in them also. Which sometimes can be fixed by a BIOS flash. We shall see, with this one.

Wide temp swings(and power draw) can happen in prime 95, particularly with the blend setting. Some of the computations are more stressful than others. If you use the small fft setting there will still be a 5 or so degree swing up and down, at least with my 4670k.

As for overall temp, each chip is different and it is heavily reliant on how thick the black glue holding down the heatspreader is. Running prime 95, My 4670k was heat limited to 1.25ish volts and 4.5ghz on custom water cooling. There are people who got better temps running 30$ air coolers with more voltage.

I would ignore the XTU temps and stick with Hwmonitor. If you look, they are all within a few degrees at peak there.

As far as the difference shown in XTU, those cores may have been on a different computation than the others as each core will end iterations at different times.

I also noticed that XTU is reading some cores at 4.5GHz and others at 4.2GHz. Do you not have all the cores setup to reach the same clocks? That could also be part of it as well.

Back