• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X11 configurations for 270X, 280X, 290X, and 7950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Up to 330 khs on the 280X with neoscrypt. rI 5120 took the brakes off :D

1080/1800 clocks.

Sometimes I do wish I could code.

I can, sort of. Went to school for it in the 90s. They took my money and pretty well gave me a McDonalds course in programming in return. Total ripoff. Don't even want to think about how much work I'd have to put in to catch up far enough to code these kinds of miner improvements.

Up to 330 khs on the 280X with neoscrypt. rI 5120 took the brakes off :D

1080/1800 clocks.

I can, sort of. Went to school for it in the 90s. They took my money and pretty well gave me a McDonalds course in programming in return. Total ripoff. Don't even want to think about how much work I'd have to put in to catch up far enough to code these kinds of miner improvements.

Been doing basic coding since I was 8, did operating systems dev at 13 - 15, am 20 now. :D

Never been formally taught.

We never had a computer when I was 8, or I'd have probably taken it apart. I was always doing that back then. I'm 41 next week :p

I know I could catch up, but there's no time in my days to do it. That school actually used some of my code in their textbooks (without offering me any compensation for it of course). Maybe one of these days I'll get back into it, maybe not. Meantime, power supply reviewing at jonnyGURU takes a lot more time than people think it does to the point I have no energy for other stuff.

At any rate, it's just easier to be lazy and let you youngins do the work for me :D

We never had a computer when I was 8, or I'd have probably taken it apart. I was always doing that back then. I'm 41 next week :p

I know I could catch up, but there's no time in my days to do it. That school actually used some of my code in their textbooks (without offering me any compensation for it of course). Maybe one of these days I'll get back into it, maybe not. Meantime, power supply reviewing at jonnyGURU takes a lot more time than people think it does to the point I have no energy for other stuff.

At any rate, it's just easier to be lazy and let you youngins do the work for me :D

jonnyGURU is the only place I trust for PSU reviews :D

jonnyGURU is the only place I trust for PSU reviews :D

That's my only other major mining advantage aside from the free power. I get to keep whatever power supplies I want for the mining rigs, within reason. I do have to sell most of them to pay the bills. The ones I'm running now include a Corsair AX1500i, CS550M, and AX860i; Seasonic 1050W; and Seasonic built 1kW Platinum.

There's a 1600W Titanium unit coming. Don't know when, but it's definitely coming. I'm already eyeballing that one for the next dedicated mining machine, which will be a 7 card rig, should it ever be built :D

That's my only other major mining advantage aside from the free power. I get to keep whatever power supplies I want for the mining rigs, within reason. I do have to sell most of them to pay the bills. The ones I'm running now include a Corsair AX1500i, CS550M, and AX860i; Seasonic 1050W; and Seasonic built 1kW Platinum.

There's a 1600W Titanium unit coming. Don't know when, but it's definitely coming. I'm already eyeballing that one for the next dedicated mining machine, which will be a 7 card rig, should it ever be built :D

6921031l9il.jpg

From who? :D

One more new card running the Wolf0 optimized Neoscrypt... my second MSI 280X. This one is a 28SB version with Elpida (doh!) and stilt BIOS. Getting 300khs on the dot at 1020/1800. Downvolted to 1.05 to get it below the 70 degree mark.

I had this card running as high as 1120/1850 with XMR. It did 535h/s that way until I stilted it, which gave me a whopping 5h/s more. Tried 1875, and that's whitescreen territory. Hashed slower than my Hynix 7950 until I got it over the 1700 mark, and now they're roughly the same in XMR. The MSI is 15khs faster in Neoscrypt, rI 5120.

Nice to find a reasonable person; I want a 285 - new chip, Tonga, and I want to see how it does.

Hey Wolf0 - did you ever get your hands on an R9 285 to test it out?

This last few days I have spent about 12 hours trying to get sgminer working with the special files you created, and haven't managed it yet. I can get a few other software programs working with a few other coins; but x11 just fails on this card, as best I can tell.

Do you think Tonga could have some flaw in it related to X11?

Any quick ideas I might try to help a diagnosis?

Sorry to bother you with this - and mega thanks for all your hard work.

Additional brainfart:
I've been managing ok with cgminer working for LTC and dogecoin, and X13 on some other random software (Multiminer works with doge and X13).
With doge/LTC - interestingly - anything other than intensity 13 and I get HW errors ; it seems incredibly strict on that. I probably went through about 800 combinations learning that.
I have the card overclocked from 925MHz to 1095 core (18% OC with 20% on battery in AMD catalyst panel; which I lose when I go to 14.6 but meh) and 1375 mem to 1575 and it runs all day long at 70C on LTC. I really think it's a lovely piece of kit [if a little slow]: I cannot exceed 351 KH/s on Lightcoin but it sits happily at 70-72C all day. It's cute :)

I decided to give it one final shot tonight. Another 3 hours put in. I uninstalled 14.9: installed 14.6 RC2. Downloaded a fresh copy of sgminer from NiceHash and grabbed your custom .cl's/dlls from their site. Got it all setup. Made a new batch file:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
sgminer -k darkcoin-mod -o stratum+tcp://stratum1.suchpool.pw:3335 -u XrEUmHQFjPY9Z8owCtTsCyH4fxkJhhQgA9 -p p -o stratum+tcp://stratum2.suchpool.pw:3335 -u XrEUmHQFjPY9Z8owCtTsCyH4fxkJhhQgA9 -p p -g 2 --thread-concurrency 8192, --intensity 13, --gpu-engine 1000 --gpu-memclock 1500 -w 64

Crossed my fingers.... ran it... and got same error as before:

[02:43:37] Started sgminer 5.1.0-dev
[02:43:37] * using Jansson 2.6
[02:43:37] clDevicesNum returned error, no GPUs usable
[02:43:37] All devices disabled, cannot mine!

Is there some way to add Tonga to its list of like, accepted HW? Or maybe... Is there an argument I need to pass it in the batch to fire up correctly?

Sorry to ask but I'm really desperate to mine DRK and I basically think I'm 95% there!

Thank you so so much. Sorry to bother you.

Hey Wolf0 - did you ever get your hands on an R9 285 to test it out?

This last few days I have spent about 12 hours trying to get sgminer working with the special files you created, and haven't managed it yet. I can get a few other software programs working with a few other coins; but x11 just fails on this card, as best I can tell.

Do you think Tonga could have some flaw in it related to X11?

Any quick ideas I might try to help a diagnosis?

Sorry to bother you with this - and mega thanks for all your hard work.

Additional brainfart:
I've been managing ok with cgminer working for LTC and dogecoin, and X13 on some other random software (Multiminer works with doge and X13).
With doge/LTC - interestingly - anything other than intensity 13 and I get HW errors ; it seems incredibly strict on that. I probably went through about 800 combinations learning that.
I have the card overclocked from 925MHz to 1095 core (18% OC with 20% on battery in AMD catalyst panel; which I lose when I go to 14.6 but meh) and 1375 mem to 1575 and it runs all day long at 70C on LTC. I really think it's a lovely piece of kit [if a little slow]: I cannot exceed 351 KH/s on Lightcoin but it sits happily at 70-72C all day. It's cute :)

I decided to give it one final shot tonight. Another 3 hours put in. I uninstalled 14.9: installed 14.6 RC2. Downloaded a fresh copy of sgminer from NiceHash and grabbed your custom .cl's/dlls from their site. Got it all setup. Made a new batch file:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
sgminer -k darkcoin-mod -o stratum+tcp://stratum1.suchpool.pw:3335 -u XrEUmHQFjPY9Z8owCtTsCyH4fxkJhhQgA9 -p p -o stratum+tcp://stratum2.suchpool.pw:3335 -u XrEUmHQFjPY9Z8owCtTsCyH4fxkJhhQgA9 -p p -g 2 --thread-concurrency 8192, --intensity 13, --gpu-engine 1000 --gpu-memclock 1500 -w 64

Crossed my fingers.... ran it... and got same error as before:

[02:43:37] Started sgminer 5.1.0-dev
[02:43:37] * using Jansson 2.6
[02:43:37] clDevicesNum returned error, no GPUs usable
[02:43:37] All devices disabled, cannot mine!

Is there some way to add Tonga to its list of like, accepted HW? Or maybe... Is there an argument I need to pass it in the batch to fire up correctly?

Sorry to ask but I'm really desperate to mine DRK and I basically think I'm 95% there!

Thank you so so much. Sorry to bother you.

The drivers needed to mine on Tonga also suck for OpenCL. Since someone stole my **** and sold it to anyone and everyone, then posted it on Bitcointalk, I'm not fixing **** for 14.9 and later.

Hey man - thanks a boatload for the response!! You're very kind :)

I'm glad to know it's perhaps not me failing (though I think this is also a strong possibility, haha!)

I feel for you regarding the theft - when you put lots of f***ing time into something [I can't imagine how long that s*** took you...] and then someone does that - it's bad. I don't think many people will be looking to buy it though mate; this stuff isn't worth **** unless you have someone you trust who might help you with it or that exists as a well respected person in the area.

Also karma's a *****; the universe will pay this person back... and bring good things to you for helping so many people... This is the way of it.

Keep doing what you're doing dude [unless you were doing it for profit yourself... But I don't think you were, were you?] - we noobies absolutely rely on the generosity of people with expertise. I can't tell you how much hunting around I had to do before I worked out that you're like the only person (or one of few) who is diving into the guts to get stuff working well.

It doesn't surprise me that overclockers (also hard forum rocks; lot of knowledge there too) has others who also 'get it'.

The bitcoin/reddit threads are full of people who don't care to understand the technology, but want the world for free. It's important to try and inspire them to change for the better, I would say. It's a sacrifice to help people like this; you can only hope they learn something about the tech and/or look to share the answers or reward the kind generous people...

Thanks again for taking the time to reply man, I really do appreciate the confirmation that Tonga might be a special case. It's nice to talk with you as well, you're a good person and you have a bright future in tech I believe.

Bitcoin/coins is/are gonna change the world; ride the wave dude - you're 20 and an expert in this ****; dream position to be in mate. If you can become a leader in the tech; build a following; it will pay off; long-term. 5 years out, 10 years....

Hey man - thanks a boatload for the response!! You're very kind :)

I'm glad to know it's perhaps not me failing (though I think this is also a strong possibility, haha!)

I feel for you regarding the theft - when you put lots of f***ing time into something [I can't imagine how long that s*** took you...] and then someone does that - it's bad. I don't think many people will be looking to buy it though mate; this stuff isn't worth **** unless you have someone you trust who might help you with it or that exists as a well respected person in the area.

Also karma's a *****; the universe will pay this person back... and bring good things to you for helping so many people... This is the way of it.

Keep doing what you're doing dude [unless you were doing it for profit yourself... But I don't think you were, were you?] - we noobies absolutely rely on the generosity of people with expertise. I can't tell you how much hunting around I had to do before I worked out that you're like the only person (or one of few) who is diving into the guts to get stuff working well.

It doesn't surprise me that overclockers (also hard forum rocks; lot of knowledge there too) has others who also 'get it'.

The bitcoin/reddit threads are full of people who don't care to understand the technology, but want the world for free. It's important to try and inspire them to change for the better, I would say. It's a sacrifice to help people like this; you can only hope they learn something about the tech and/or look to share the answers or reward the kind generous people...

Thanks again for taking the time to reply man, I really do appreciate the confirmation that Tonga might be a special case. It's nice to talk with you as well, you're a good person and you have a bright future in tech I believe.

Bitcoin/coins is/are gonna change the world; ride the wave dude - you're 20 and an expert in this ****; dream position to be in mate. If you can become a leader in the tech; build a following; it will pay off; long-term. 5 years out, 10 years....

I did have someone helping me, this was my month-to-month income! There is a market for this, believe that. Of course I was doing it for profit! I released a lot of code, but not all of it, because like the rest of you, I need a place to stay and food to eat. Yes, I love what I do, but that doesn't mean I'll do it for free.

Anyway, Tonga isn't the issue, the drivers that support it are. AMD just happened to **** OpenCL somehow in 14.9 and later, which just so happen to be the only releases that support Tonga.

Since someone stole my **** and sold it to anyone and everyone, then posted it on Bitcointalk, I'm not fixing **** for 14.9 and later.

Well, dang. Wish I didn't know how that felt :(

If it helps any, your Neoscrypt improvements may end up being the difference between me being able to keep reviewing power supplies past December or not. Things were getting really, really hard around here... I've had a few months this year where cryptocurrency mining was the only thing that got some of the bills paid. My power might be free, but not much else is around here. And contrary to what many think, reviewing power supplies is a full time job that pays way less than minimum wage.

Thanks a bunch for the Neoscrypt improvements, anyway, I do appreciate it. I still use the CPU XMR miner too once in a while, even though only one of my CPUs is any good at mining XMR (ahem, overclocked 2500K).

Well, dang. Wish I didn't know how that felt :(

If it helps any, your Neoscrypt improvements may end up being the difference between me being able to keep reviewing power supplies past December or not. Things were getting really, really hard around here... I've had a few months this year where cryptocurrency mining was the only thing that got some of the bills paid. My power might be free, but not much else is around here. And contrary to what many think, reviewing power supplies is a full time job that pays way less than minimum wage.

Thanks a bunch for the Neoscrypt improvements, anyway, I do appreciate it. I still use the CPU XMR miner too once in a while, even though only one of my CPUs is any good at mining XMR (ahem, overclocked 2500K).

That does make me feel better, especially because I really like your reviews and such. Just... you release things for the community, but keep one or two things for yourself, and they hate on you for it. And then this.

Yep - no good deed goes unpunished. Especially at BCT... surprised you haven't pulled out of there by now. It's as toxic a forum as I've ever seen.

I've been trying to build a photography business this year to start making a little extra cash on the side. That's what was supposed to keep me afloat so crypto could be more of a hobby, but it turned out to be the other way around. Made the mistake of sending some of my original full size shots to friends. Figured, "well, I'm just starting out, I need the exposure." Next thing I know, they're bugging me for free full res shots left and right. Took a while to get them to realize that in doing that, they were effectively telling me my hard work was worth nothing. Some of these shots cost me $40-50 in fuel to get because I'm a storm spotter/chaser, and they don't often come right to you to pose for pictures.

Anyway, these days the original shots don't leave my hard drives unless they're paid for. I don't ask that much for them, but they're not going anywhere for free anymore.

Yep - no good deed goes unpunished. Especially at BCT... surprised you haven't pulled out of there by now. It's as toxic a forum as I've ever seen.

I've been trying to build a photography business this year to start making a little extra cash on the side. That's what was supposed to keep me afloat so crypto could be more of a hobby, but it turned out to be the other way around. Made the mistake of sending some of my original full size shots to friends. Figured, "well, I'm just starting out, I need the exposure." Next thing I know, they're bugging me for free full res shots left and right. Took a while to get them to realize that in doing that, they were effectively telling me my hard work was worth nothing. Some of these shots cost me $40-50 in fuel to get because I'm a storm spotter/chaser, and they don't often come right to you to pose for pictures.

Anyway, these days the original shots don't leave my hard drives unless they're paid for. I don't ask that much for them, but they're not going anywhere for free anymore.

I hear that; those who do not pay for your work do not value it.

Well... in this case they did value my work, they were just so used to downloading stuff for nothing off the net it never occurred to them what that meant. I'm still friends with them, but now they know better than to ask me for that stuff for nothing.

And on that note, I did some calculating and from here it doesn't appear that the leaked bin files improve my farm enough to switch to X11. It does make it slightly more profitable, but FTC, XMR, and even Darknote are still well ahead. I'm on FTC myself until it stops being on top, then likely going back to XMR. I have no interest in anything on X11 right now. And I don't want to actually use the leaked bins unless you're ok with it.

Last edited:
Back