• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X11 configurations for 270X, 280X, 290X, and 7950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf0

Registered
I'm working on my own X11 OpenCL kernels, and not only do I want to find better configs for it, I'd like to have better configurations for the stock X11 OpenCL in SGMiner 5, to make the comparison more fair.

Right now, I'm using worksize 64, and xintensity 128 for all but the 290X, which I use xintensity 64 for, with two GPU threads. Thread concurrency is not used in X11, so I omit it. Powertune I set to its max value - 20 for all but the 290X, 50 for that, and because I'm using badman74's version for "stock" because it's the fastest public X11 miner, I added hamsi-expand-big to the config and set it to 4.

Anyone have any better configs?

I haven't seen anything faster than the badman74 version myself. Here's how I have it set on most of my cards. Four 270s, two 7950s, and one 280X:

"xintensity" : "64",
"worksize" : "64",
"hamsi-expand-big" : "7",
"hamsi-short" : true,
"blake-compact" : true,
"keccak-unroll" : "8",
"luffa-parallel" : true,

I've pretty much given up trying to get anything better out of this version. xintensity 64, 128, 256, and 512 all seem to work, but no faster than one another. The 280X pushes 4.2mhs at 1020/1500.

Also have an HD6870 and HD7770 running on the same parameters. They run no faster than the SGMiner 14.6 fixed version I was using before (1.4mhs and 1.2mhs respectively), and need one thread only or they turn into slugs. Well, more sluglike than usual, anyway.

I haven't seen anything faster than the badman74 version myself. Here's how I have it set on most of my cards. Four 270s, two 7950s, and one 280X:

"xintensity" : "64",
"worksize" : "64",
"hamsi-expand-big" : "7",
"hamsi-short" : true,
"blake-compact" : true,
"keccak-unroll" : "8",
"luffa-parallel" : true,

I've pretty much given up trying to get anything better out of this version. xintensity 64, 128, 256, and 512 all seem to work, but no faster than one another. The 280X pushes 4.2mhs at 1020/1500.

Also have an HD6870 and HD7770 running on the same parameters. They run no faster than the SGMiner 14.6 fixed version I was using before (1.4mhs and 1.2mhs respectively), and need one thread only or they turn into slugs. Well, more sluglike than usual, anyway.

Hm, okay, thanks. You may want to try a higher clock for the 280X, mine will clock to 1150 on the core stably, and 1225 or so if I bump the volts a little. I'm going to add some of those to my config; my kernels don't use them, but I want badman74's to do as best it can.

Mine won't clock as it sits now. It's running a modded BIOS to downvolt it to 0.956V (vbe7 doesn't play nice with the MSI 280X cards), and that seems to have nailed it to 1020 permanently. I suppose I could flip over to the stock BIOS, but then it's still voltage locked and heats up the room. I'm pushing the Hynixed 7950 a little harder to compensate - that one pushes 3.8-3.9mhs itself.

Otherwise, the 280X is a real good clocker from what I saw before I downvolted it.

Mine won't clock as it sits now. It's running a modded BIOS to downvolt it to 0.956V (vbe7 doesn't play nice with the MSI 280X cards), and that seems to have nailed it to 1020 permanently. I suppose I could flip over to the stock BIOS, but then it's still voltage locked and heats up the room. I'm pushing the Hynixed 7950 a little harder to compensate - that one pushes 3.8-3.9mhs itself.

Otherwise, the 280X is a real good clocker from what I saw before I downvolted it.

Ah, I see! Mine won't clock above 1010 on the core at one volt. Still does pretty well on X11 - I recently got a new 290X and it pulls less watts than my old one even at a higher voltage.

Mine's not quite stable at times on this voltage, once in a while Claymore's miner hardlocks the system with it, but it's stable enough I just live with it.

The 7950 I speak of is a Gigabyte with stilt bios. I've got that one running at 1.02V, 1050/1500. For some reason it runs screaming hot, even after getting new thermal paste twice, but man is it ever fast. At 1.05V it'll do 1120/1500 without complaining. Leaves my Club3D 7950 (also with stilt BIOS) in the dust... IIRC that one does 3.4 mhs on X11 at the same clocks.

I have no 290s yet. Might never see one the way crypto is going lately. I reckon I'll be doing good if I get another 280X at this rate.

Mine's not quite stable at times on this voltage, once in a while Claymore's miner hardlocks the system with it, but it's stable enough I just live with it.

The 7950 I speak of is a Gigabyte with stilt bios. I've got that one running at 1.02V, 1050/1500. For some reason it runs screaming hot, even after getting new thermal paste twice, but man is it ever fast. At 1.05V it'll do 1120/1500 without complaining. Leaves my Club3D 7950 (also with stilt BIOS) in the dust... IIRC that one does 3.4 mhs on X11 at the same clocks.

I have no 290s yet. Might never see one the way crypto is going lately. I reckon I'll be doing good if I get another 280X at this rate.

Agreed; that's one reason why I haven't released; it's the only way I can mine profitably! xD

Yeah, I saw the Bitcointalk crowd giving you a hard time about that. Not surprising - everyone wants something for nothing. Makes no difference to me... my power's free (as long as I keep the cards running under the radar), so I'm still profitable. Even if I'm currently concentrating on getting as big a pile of XMR as possible and selling nothing until the value rises again.

I might still see a 290 or two, I'm not giving up yet ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw the Bitcointalk crowd giving you a hard time about that. Not surprising - everyone wants something for nothing. Makes no difference to me... my power's free (as long as I keep the cards running under the radar), so I'm still profitable. Even if I'm currently concentrating on getting as big a pile of XMR as possible and selling nothing until the value rises again.

I might still see a 290 or two, I'm not giving up yet ;)

Nice to find a reasonable person; I want a 285 - new chip, Tonga, and I want to see how it does.

I've been wondering about those. Won't buy new cards as long as I can get old former mining cards cheaper, but I've been curious.

Last new card was a 270X 4GB. Ugh, what a mistake that one was. $310 for roughly the same performance as all the other 270 class cards I own on every algorithm I've tried. It's the second fastest 270 I have... my Asus 270X is faster (because it clocks higher)... but that extra RAM hasn't helped any that I've seen. I think it's also the most expensive card I bought this year.

I've been wondering about those. Won't buy new cards as long as I can get old former mining cards cheaper, but I've been curious.

Last new card was a 270X 4GB. Ugh, what a mistake that one was. $310 for roughly the same performance as all the other 270 class cards I own on every algorithm I've tried. It's the second fastest 270 I have... my Asus 270X is faster (because it clocks higher)... but that extra RAM hasn't helped any that I've seen. I think it's also the most expensive card I bought this year.

It won't help on X11, but it should help on XMR.

Here, 2.56 Mh on my 270x, and 2Mh on my 7850 using "darkcoin-mod" kernel

-g 4,2 -I 19,16 -w 64 --thread-concurrency 8192

270x: 1150Mhz Core 1500Mhz memory
7850: 1120Mhz Core 1250Mhz memory

This is on "SGminer5", but it shows up as SGminer 4.2.2-298-g3bb4 :shrug:

I'd be interested in any tweaks for X11 :)

It won't help on X11, but it should help on XMR.

Maybe a little. I'm getting about 457h/s out of Claymore 9.1 out of both it and the Asus 270X 2GB, which is clocked higher. 402 for the two Asus 270 2GB cards.

The real hilarity is the 7950 Club3D is only running 10h/s faster than those two 270Xs. I should up-volt that one and clock it higher... it's doing 1.02V itself.

Maybe a little. I'm getting about 457h/s out of Claymore 9.1 out of both it and the Asus 270X 2GB, which is clocked higher. 402 for the two Asus 270 2GB cards.

The real hilarity is the 7950 Club3D is only running 10h/s faster than those two 270Xs. I should up-volt that one and clock it higher... it's doing 1.02V itself.

Odd, I figured that 4GB 270X would do FAR better on XMR... Claymore's got something up his sleeve, I swear...

Here, 2.56 Mh on my 270x, and 2Mh on my 7850 using "darkcoin-mod" kernel

-g 4,2 -I 19,16 -w 64 --thread-concurrency 8192

270x: 1150Mhz Core 1500Mhz memory
7850: 1120Mhz Core 1250Mhz memory

This is on "SGminer5", but it shows up as SGminer 4.2.2-298-g3bb4 :shrug:

I'd be interested in any tweaks for X11 :)

Haha, believe me, so is everyone. Thanks for the config, I see you use 4 GPU threads; I'll try it.

EDIT: Ah, the 4 threads didn't work for me; probably because half the GPU is no longer idle :p

Last edited:
Odd, I figured that 4GB 270X would do FAR better on XMR... Claymore's got something up his sleeve, I swear...

Yeah, I don't think that miner is hitting the cards like it could be. I like that the dedicated machine with the four 270s and one 7950 is only pulling 600W out of the wall, but with that machine running off a Titanium 1500W unit it's not like I can't give the boys more power if needed ;)

If that 4GB card were a better clocker I'd try bringing it up to the Asus 270X's speed, but it's a Sapphire Dual-X that tends to run a mite hot when I do that. The Asus 270X has much better cooling, and could probably do 1200/1500 if I asked it to.

I did try getting Claymore to recognize the whole 4GB on that card, but that went over like a lead balloon. Insta-crash. By default, it only sees 3GB.

Yeah, I don't think that miner is hitting the cards like it could be. I like that the dedicated machine with the four 270s and one 7950 is only pulling 600W out of the wall, but with that machine running off a Titanium 1500W unit it's not like I can't give the boys more power if needed ;)

If that 4GB card were a better clocker I'd try bringing it up to the Asus 270X's speed, but it's a Sapphire Dual-X that tends to run a mite hot when I do that. The Asus 270X has much better cooling, and could probably do 1200/1500 if I asked it to.

I did try getting Claymore to recognize the whole 4GB on that card, but that went over like a lead balloon. Insta-crash. By default, it only sees 3GB.

Thing is, XMR is gonna be a dog on GPUs - it can't use the compute anywhere near capacity because it's memory limited.

True. Even so, I can remember when my slowest 270s were running XMR as fast as my 1GB 6870 is currently running (275 h/s). There's gotta be more in the tanks of some of these cards.

It's interesting to see the difference between the two 7950s on XMR. The Elpida card does 467, the Hynix card does 530. Exact same clock speeds, both stilted.

True. Even so, I can remember when my slowest 270s were running XMR as fast as my 1GB 6870 is currently running (275 h/s). There's gotta be more in the tanks of some of these cards.

It's interesting to see the difference between the two 7950s on XMR. The Elpida card does 467, the Hynix card does 530. Exact same clock speeds, both stilted.

Yeah - thankfully X11 requires almost no memory, if done correctly. I'm getting close to that, but SIMD is still spilling registers like mad...

Back