• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time building.Complete newbie. Looking at Mobo now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boodo330

Hi,

I'm trying to find a problem with my system I'm building and I'm suspecting the problem is from the motherboard since the PSU passed the paperclip test(Although this may be unreliable). The first symptom was no post and constant restarting the cpu fan and psu fan. Now it won't boot at all. I double checked all connections

I wanted to know if there are any physical signs of damage in the mobo

Also I think the mobo gave some discoloration on the cpu here

Please host images to OCF. Many of us cannot see pictures hosted by external websites (Earthdog will hunt you in your sleep for hosting externally ;) )

OCFinsertimages.png

The only thing that stood out in your photos was the first image of the socket. It looks like 1 pin *may* be bent out of place. Other than that, nothing else stood out. The photo of the whole motherboard was a little on the blurry side, so it was hard to distinguish anything on that one.

Do you have a multi or voltage meter? Just because the psu turns on with the paperclip, doesn't mean all the rails are good. Test voltage output while to psu is running. Or try a spare psu.

Dumb question, did you plug in the CPU power cable? Ram properly seated?

The only thing that stood out in your photos was the first image of the socket. It looks like 1 pin *may* be bent out of place.

That pin is bent, best bet is get a new MB (MB=Motherboard) those sockets can't be replaced.

Hi,

I wanted to follow up on this thread for new mini itx builders

The problem was indeed the motherboard. I got a new motherboard which looked much better. Booted up without a hiccup.

The moral of the story is: Don't be an idiot like me and take the CPU out of its socket a billion times to clean it.

For anyone who is looking for mini ITX mobos I would go for the The Asus Z97k Plus since it contained diagnosis lights that would have helped me find problems a lot quicker. Ex. "I could take out RAM to see if a red light shows. If it doesn't there is another problem"

silly question, but why would you even need to take the CPU out to clean it? You would never need to do this IMO.

Back