• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Drivers without a keyboard and mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Horrerblade

Hey guys, so the usb ports on a friends pc went out and he cant use a keyboard or mouse at all. Now i ordered some usb 3.0 cars off newegg and installed them, but for them to work I need to install the drivers. The problem is that I cant install them due to not having a keyboard and mouse. Any advice or suggestions on how to install the drivers? here are the cards that I ordered
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124116
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124120

Does the motherboard on your friend's PC have PS2 mouse and keyboard ports? They are usually located at the top of the I/O area. Usually, one is green (mouse) and the other is purple (keyboard). If so, you can usually pick up used PS2 mice and keyboards at Goodwill for about $5. What OS is he using? If he is using Windows 8/8.1 it will often have native drivers for older hardware and it might cover those cards you ordered.

I was gonna recommend PS2 as well...if that doesn't work, I can think of some ways...
1, takeout the HDD and plug it in externally and put the USB driver setup file in the windows startup folder, and hopefully it runs without having to hit enter. A batch file may be neccessary to send enter commands like every 10 seconds or something....but a batch file either way is your best option for automating commands.

2, install it in a different machine in safe mode and hopefully you can isntall the drivers...it may or may not boot in a different machine.

3, find a way to do a targeted remote install of a remote control application program...You'll have to search around for how to do this. It might not be possible for obvious security reasons, but who knows.

I was gonna recommend PS2 as well...if that doesn't work, I can think of some ways...
1, takeout the HDD and plug it in externally and put the USB driver setup file in the windows startup folder, and hopefully it runs without having to hit enter. A batch file may be neccessary to send enter commands like every 10 seconds or something....but a batch file either way is your best option for automating commands.

2, install it in a different machine in safe mode and hopefully you can isntall the drivers...it may or may not boot in a different machine.

3, find a way to do a targeted remote install of a remote control application program...You'll have to search around for how to do this. It might not be possible for obvious security reasons, but who knows.

I could be way off base here bu I don't think you can install drivers in Safe mode. Drivers run in protected mode and the very point of Safe mode is to eliminate the use of drivers as a trouble shooting measure.

Horrerblade, it may have been wiser to have ordered older USB 2.0 add in cards to increase the chance that the OS will have native drivers.

I'm pretty sure you can install drivers in safe mode, safe mode usually just disables many drivers when booting (so if you have a different chipset or conflict or something it will load basic drivers). Once in safe mode you can then install drivers.

Either way, try safe mode first, then if it doesn't work hope a normal boot works in the new system and doesn't tweak the OS too much!

MOdern boards, at least in intel world, only have one PS/2 port (if you are lucky)... but that is a good idea.

Not sure about safe mode and installing drivers. I recall trying to install something there and it wouldn't work... but its worth trying as its free.

I don't think any add on card will work out of the box without drivers though, USB2 or 3...

Does the motherboard on your friend's PC have PS2 mouse and keyboard ports? They are usually located at the top of the I/O area. Usually, one is green (mouse) and the other is purple (keyboard). If so, you can usually pick up used PS2 mice and keyboards at Goodwill for about $5. What OS is he using? If he is using Windows 8/8.1 it will often have native drivers for older hardware and it might cover those cards you ordered.

Using Windows 7

Horrerblade, it may have been wiser to have ordered older USB 2.0 add in cards to increase the chance that the OS will have native drivers.

Cheap pcie USB 2.0 cards are hard to find, they are like $30 and this pos msi mobo only has pcie slots

I think I will 1/2 see what happens

Part of the issue here is lack of info about the friend's system.

Sorry, my bad. Specs are: i5 3570k, 16gb ram, msi z77-g45, msi 7790, msi ravager case, corsair cx 600 Watt plus, and Windows 7 HP 64 bit

Back