• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphic Decisions (your expertise please)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nycatt

Registered
I'm in the middle of building a new rig. The only thing left to purchase is the graphics card. I was going to get 2 evga 980 superclocked cards until I saw the ACX 2.0 review. What I don't understand is if the 980 ACX 2.0 version is better why was is listed on newegg for $570 while the regular 980 SC is $620. Should I wait for the ACX to become available or just pull the trigger of the regular 980 SC and call it a day.

How many monitors are you running to require 2 980's in the first place? Or are you on 4K single monitor? I say that as 2560x1600 or less, a single 980 will easily do the job and can save you money out of the gate, and potential multi=gpu issues (scaling, heat, temps, etc) down the road.

Anyway, Id wait for 2.0 as well.

At the moment I'm on a single 1080 monitor. But if I can max out all my game settings without an issue I will take your advice and get one 980 sc 2.0 for now.

I run a 780ti at 2560x1440 juuuuuuuuust fine. A 980 is 5-10% faster than a 780ti and you run on 1080. In fact your entire rig is massive overkill I would imagine (extreme overclocking mobo/$1K octocore)... but, hey, I guess if you have the cash, why not!!!! :)

Awesome. My last rig was when I first joined in 2011 and definitely got my monies worth. At first I was going to get the Rampage IV with the 4960x. But when I saw the newer mobo and chip I figured I'll get the best and have it for another 3 to 5 years hopefully. My hobbies are very extreme which includes flying high performance rc helicopters so my motto is get the best and it will perform.

I bet you fly those upside down don't you? Love to see those do that... :)

I guess in 3 years, ask us first! We could have saved you about $800 and you would still have awesome parts that would last 3-5 years (5930K, a motherboard more fit for the tasks you do, and perhaps a higher quality PSU with WAY less juice ((850W is PLENTY for 2 980's)) ).

Enjoy. ;)

The only thing Im still using from 3 yrs ago is the Case, SSD and the 1000w ps.

Until you crash them lol.

My uncle flies RC choppers.

They are very expensive and when you crash it your heart sinks.

The last one he built he landed it a bit too hard and the blades flexed down and chopped the tail section off the chopper and blew both blades apart and bent the supporting shafts lol.

Until you crash them lol.

My uncle flies RC choppers.

They are very expensive and when you crash it your heart sinks.

The last one he built he landed it a bit too hard and the blades flexed down and chopped the tail section off the chopper and blew both blades apart and bent the supporting shafts lol.

Yes true. I had a boom strike once when I first started and it does suck. I quickly learned not to land under power and auto rotate my landings. Now I have one heli that is my beater, it only gets used to practice new menuvers. The one in the video I posted is the top machine of my fleet. I don't do anything with her I haven't mastered on the beater.

Back to pcs.....

I just ordered a Sandisk Extreme Pro 240gb SSD and picking up my EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0 tomorrow. Looking forward to some winter gaming.

Back