• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M.2 vs M.2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I am sitting here looking over some motherboards.

I see Turbo M.2 on MSI boards, I see M.2 on Asus, but up to 32gb/s and then on gigabyte i see M.2 but only 10gb/s.

The question boils down to, what is the difference? And if i threw an Ultra M.2 at the gigabyte would it still limit me to 10gb/s?

About 22Gb/s. the ultra/turbo m.2 slots use Pcie3 4x bandwidth vs I think Pcie2 1x or something. You can read the difference on specific implementations in their manuals.

Yes it would. No different than throwing a device faster than sata2 on a sata3 port. ;)

Thats a shame. Thanks for the answer.

But when you write 22gb/s is that en error, or is it really only 22gb/s and the advertised 32?

A shame? What is a shame? That is how it always works. You can't squeeze blood from a stone. ;)

Like most everything else, that is theoretical speeds. No clue what actual throughput would be. Id imagine upper 20's though.

Both MSI and Asus claim upto 32Gb/s on the M.2 slots.

Gigabyte only have 10Gb/s on all boards, apart from SOC, which boasts 22Gb/s.

All numbers are UP TO, i said its a shame on the Gigabyte part, as i would consider exchanging my MSI for a Gigabyte, but the fact that im paying more and losing a future proof feature, that i plan to use, would be completly stupid move.

With the frequency you seem to change rigs, I wouldn't worry about the M.2 slot and futureproofing. 10Gb/s will be fine for you and 99% of other people on this forum frankly. I do agree though its nice to have, but you will be waiting a bit before some M.2 cards out that will saturate the 10GB/s bandwidth.

Did you go to your etailer of choice and check the speeds of the M.2 devices that fit your budget? ;)

I am kind of hoping the X99 will be last upgrade for a long time, which is why im picky as hell with the motherboard. I did get accept on sending my MSI back, but no other boards suit me yet, so im keeping the MSI, but Gigabyte was on the cards, until I noticed the M.2, and yes, I know the Ultra M.2 are sky high in price, but the wont be forever.

Back