• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 4790k defective? Insanely hot temperatures at stock speed + Noctua cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Hey guys,

I just got a new 4790k and am getting some really awful temperatures at *stock* speeds.
Using the latest Prime95 blend test, my temps will break 98C!!!
I've remounted the HSF and reapplied the thermal paste multiple times and have installed these countless times in the past without issue so it's not a mounting problem.
I'm using a Noctua D-14 HSF with my case fans loudly blowing a ton of air through the case...

Haven't used OCCT before, what is it? Also, what about the high prime95 temps? Shouldn't they be a lot less?

At stock speed, P95 shouldn't be getting that hot. Either your board is mis-reporting the temps or the cooler isn't mounted correctly.

I've remounted multiple times and I've done this countless times in the past without issue so I don't think it's a mounting issue. Reading on Intel's boards there do seem to be other uses with this issue:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/54422

I know this CPU is supposed to run hot... but at *STOCK* speeds it really shouldn't be THIS hot!

Please list your full system specs.

Include specific details about your case, case fans, and ambient temperatures.

When the processor gets that warm, the heatsink should be very warm to the touch... is it?

When I get home later i'll try touching the heatsink and report back.

As for details:
I've got an antec P183 case with two exhaust fans on the back and 2 intake fans in the front (Noctua NF-S12A and NF-P12 fans specifically)
A Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink with 2 fans attached.
Ambient air temps around 65F.

This same setup on my old 2600k kept the CPU under 65C when *overclocked*... so how can my new setup be dieing under this?

So.......... you have no intake fans? That is part of the problem there...

Front/sides = intake
top/rear = exhaust

haha no, I mis-typed. I have 2 exhaust fans on the back and 2 intakes on the front. :)
I've set the fans to full throttle so that they sound loud and are pumping a ton of air through the case. (much more than I ever had with my 2600k)

I've read in some forums that there are issues with P95 and Devil's Canyon, temps hitting extra hightemp in seconds.

It says it's due to VTX instruction set...

I'd like to see the Cpu Voltage under load. Additionally, full system specs would be helpful.

I've read in some forums that there are issues with P95 and Devil's Canyon, temps hitting extra hightemp in seconds.

It says it's due to VTX instruction set...
AVX instruction set.

Will check the voltage under load when home later.

Here are the system specs:
CPU: i7 4790k
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengence Pro 1866
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VII Z97
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
Graphics: Galaxy Geforce GTX580

Should executing AVX instructions really make this thing heat up this much?
Any other 4790k users on here that can comment how it behaves with the latest P95 and their temps?

Should executing AVX instructions really make this thing heat up this much?
I am not sure if this is your problem, you would have to watch the testing and see if it spikes with it gets to certain iterations and drops back. But yes, it can shoot up around 10C when it hits those iterations. Again if that is your issue, I have no idea.

Any other 4790k users on here that can comment how it behaves with the latest P95 and their temps?
Me.. and those mentioning it are not BSing you. ;)

My 4790K, has temps going through the roof when using small FTT: 83°c on the hotter core with blend, and 100° on all cores with small FTT.

Me.. and those mentioning it are not BSing you. ;)

hehe yea, didn't mean to imply anyone was BSing me. :)
Just trying to figure out if everyone with a 4790k is having it spike like this or is it just me with a bad CPU. With only a couple days left on my Microcenter return I'm just really not sure what to do. :( Do I return it or assume this is normal? Just trying to figure out what next steps I should be trying.

It would be everyone... but again not sure if this is your issue or not. I highly doubt its a bad CPU though.

As far as how to move forward I mentioned:
you would have to watch the testing and see if it spikes with it gets to certain iterations and drops back.

Back