• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need more GHz for streaming - OC or new CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Naztiva

Hello Overlockers,

I'm new to this forums and want to excuse if I forgott something before starting my questions here.

Currently I'm running an PhenomII X4 960T at 6x 3.6 GHz with 1.4V CPU Voltage and 2.2GHz NB Speed. Without problems like bluescreens or other crashes.

Now I just got a decent internet upload rate (> 5Mbps) and would like to stream some PlanetSide 2 gaming but my Phenom can't handle the game + OBS x264 encoding as fast as I want.
Or as fast as needed to prevent fatal stream viewer eye damages.

Would it be worth to OC my CPU or shall I buy another? Maybe a Intel in relation of streaming and the hyperthreading thingy?

With a game as CPU bound as PlanetSide 2 and trying to do CPU encoding you're going to struggle with almost anything.

What's your budget?
What's the rest of your system?

Well, first, try overclocking and see how it responds to that...

But I would imagine, as ATM said, you will need an upgrade.

Thank you for the fast answers.

Unfortunately I had a lot bluescreens with an gtx 660ti (OC edition from MSI) forcing me to rage about NVIDIA and buy an R9 270X.
No more Shadowplay :( and still waiting for response from my local vendor who send it to MSI I think/hope.

The other parts are 1kW PSU Power Legion X2, ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 and 16GB DDR3-1333 (two kits from don't know yet).

During your fast answers I was looking for Xeon E3-1230V3 or an i5 but... well it's not really cheap :D
What you think about the FX 8350? I use the Brocken for cooling but I'm not sure about my "old" RAM and mainboard.

Edit:
I don't want to spend more than $ 300

You won't get the performance you're looking for with a $300 budget while trying to play and encode PlanetSide at the same time.

You want an i7 (or Xeon equivalent) at the bare minimum.
You could honestly use a 5820K.

1KW no name PSU... yuck. Get something more appropriate as far as wattage goes (550W for single card, 850W for dual) but especially a better quality PSU as that one was all over the map it seems in reviews.

I wouldn't put an 8320 on that motherboard either...

Big no for a FX83xx on this mobo.

As E_D say, no name 100w PSU, mmm...

I don't think your cooler will cut it either, if you want any half decent overclock, which you need.

Not many options there:

- your Phenom to 4.1/4.2GHz if you can (it's as fast as a [email protected] multithreaded, and single thread perf is higher by 20%).
- Sell the Phenom/Mobo combo (the thubans are still good resell value) and invest $450 for 4790k+Mid end Z97 MoBo combo (it will smoke any FX setup@5GHz+, even @stock). And your PSU should be fine in this case.

What are you cooling the CPU with? I got my 960T to 4 ghz on 5 cores on that same motherboard but I was cooling it with a majorly big aftermarket cooler. Are you overclocking with just the multiplier or are you using both the multiplier and the FSB? What is the make and model of your case? I asking that last question to get an idea of how good your case ventilation might be.

What are you cooling the CPU with? I got my 960T to 4 ghz on 5 cores on that same motherboard but I was cooling it with a majorly big aftermarket cooler. Are you overclocking with just the multiplier or are you using both the multiplier and the FSB?

He addressed the cooler earlier...

I'm not sure this matters though, the CPU just won't handle PlanetSide AND encoding at the same time.
It doesn't have enough oomph, no matter how much you OC it.

As I mentioned earlier, this kind of demand would benefit from a 5820K. A LOT.

Thank you all for your help

I found an - let's call it addon - for the streaming software to use the GPU with AMD VCE/AMF for encoding.
Of course it's maybe not as good as the 5820k but together with new MB and some DDR4 RAM, I need a second full time job I think :)

Now it's "only" PlanetSide and OC my Phenom a bit (because manu2b and trents tease me :p ) but I will start a new thread for that.

Naztiva, one thing you should consider is disabling one or two cores on your CPU in order to get a higher overclock (due to reduced temps) and therefore better performance per core. Most games cannot efficiently utilize 6 cores. But in your case there is the encoding part of the task which more than likely does benefit from having all those cores active. Not sure how it would play out in your case but it might be worth experimenting with.

You could also experiment with core loading via affinity. Example: designate 6 cores for encoding and only 4 for the game.

Back