• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU build, any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well i already have a case, a 500W PSU, RAM, etc. the problem is i'm picking out of my parents' pocket for this, and they keep changing what they're willing to spend. if i have to buy it piece by piece which part should i buy first?

Nothing. Never buy piece by piece. If you start now and finish in May you'll have ancient artifacts rather than the latest technology. Better parts come out all the time. What you want to do is hide money under your mattress until you reach a critical mass of cash sufficient to afford the entire computer in one go.

BTW what specific case/PSU/RAM do you have right now?

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

PSU: EVGA 500-B 500W PSU

RAM: 1x8GB ADATA 1600MHz

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

PSU: EVGA 500-B 500W PSU

RAM: 1x8GB ADATA 1600MHz

You can get better PSUs and cases for the same price. 1X8GB? On AM1 maybe, sure, but everything else is dual channel. 2X4GB is what you want. This is the second time this has been mentioned to you in this thread.

It was also mentioned that you could get a Pentium G3258 build for the price of the Athlon build and have better performance for gaming (*you have to overclock the Pentium for this to be true)

The minimum spec I would build that would be a tolerable system for me would be

Pentium G3258
2x4GB (or if funds were low, 2x2GB) DDR3 1600
750Ti
Cheap H81 board (confirm it will OC a 3258)

Last edited:
You can get better PSUs and cases for the same price. 1X8GB? On AM1 maybe, sure, but everything else is dual channel. 2X4GB is what you want. This is the second time this has been mentioned to you in this thread.

It was also mentioned that you could get a Pentium G3258 build for the price of the Athlon build and have better performance for gaming (*you have to overclock the Pentium for this to be true)

The minimum spec I would build that would be a tolerable system for me would be

Pentium G3258
2x4GB (or if funds were low, 2x2GB) DDR3 1600
750Ti
Cheap H81 board (confirm it will OC a 3258)

okay thanks. i suppose this could be closed now, seeing as it's pointless talking about it any further without knowing when i can buy the stuff lol

You know that the setup you chose is barely an upgrade compared to what you already have, right?

Take the time, save the money, and go for a REAl upgrade!

okay thanks. i suppose this could be closed now, seeing as it's pointless talking about it any further without knowing when i can buy the stuff lol
If you were months away, you would want to talk then, yes. The landscape changes waaay too frequently.

Oh I get it now, you were going to re-use parts from your original build. That's why you were so inclined to go AMD and the 1x8GB RAM etc...

Well, if that's the case, get yourself an AMD Athlon X4 860K and a GTX 750Ti. That'll run you about $200. You can then turn around and sell your current APU for a few bucks.
It would be wise to pick up a hyper 212 CPU cooler as well if you can dig up another $30 so you can overclock the Athlon. It really does help.

Sorry about my earlier confusion.

if i want to do dual channel does it have to be the same brand for both sticks? i'm assuming it has to be the same speed in MHz right?

if i want to do dual channel does it have to be the same brand for both sticks? i'm assuming it has to be the same speed in MHz right?

It doesn't "have" to be anything... but for optimum compatibility and to avoid throwing any money down the toilet, it should be identical brand, model, voltage, speed, and timings. Basically, you want another stick completely identical to the stick you currently have.

However, given that an 8GB stick is going to run you $55-85 USD, and you're on a tight budget here, and you're not building a high performance PC, I would get the Athlon and the GPU now, and get that stick of RAM when you can spare another few bucks down the line. If you have enough money for everything right now though, go for it.

Back