• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD vs Intel for homeserver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deltawars

Registered
I want to build a home server for storing documents and streaming media but i wanted to know what is better intel or amd and do I need graphics?
I have a list of processor but which would be better for streaming media and transferring loads of small files and does graphics make a difference?
A10 7850K Black Edition,
AMD FX8350 Black Edition,
Intel Core i5 4430

if anyone has links to information on servers i would appreciate it.

Check out the AM1 socket from AMD. you can get a board and quadcore CPU for less than $100. It should handle that nicely.

I think you're much better off with something like a G3420 or 3220 and a cheap H81 board. The 5350 is really, really slow.

I dont think you can go wrong with a fairly cheap APU, but personally, Id go with a low voltage i5 if its going to be on 24/7.

Over the years, the cost savings will add up, and it wont get outdated nearly as quickly as a current AMD chip

All AMD except AM1 are kinda failed idea for 24/7 work. High wattage, lot of generated heat and low performance.
I would pick or AMD AM1 quad core or Celeron J1900 quad core or something from Pentium or low i3 and H81 ITX board.

Considering low clock, AM1 performance is really good and it's ~15W max APU with graphics acceleration and additional features.

I was recently faced with the same question when the Mobo on my home built NAS went bad. I settled in this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157494.

The J1900 Celeron has plenty of HP for serving files and running a DLNA server. The system it replaced used an Intel Mobo with D525 Atom. With two LP 2 and 3 TB drives and powered by a 80+ PSU it draws about 27 watts at the wall when idle. Factors that drove this choice (along with reasonable price :D ) were memory form factor (since that's what the previous system used, allowing me to transfer over the RAM) and 4 SATA ports (vs. 2 in the previous iteration) that allow me to install the OS on an old laptop drove. I run Linux on it headless so video H/W is superfluous.

If you're planning on using it for stuff like video transcoding you might want more processor, but I have a desktop with an I7-4770K for that. I run a file server (NFS, SAMBA) and DLNA server to view movies on my PS3.

Either AMD or Intel will do the job. If this is something you will run 24x7 then power footprint is probably the biggest concern.

I just set file server on a 1.5GHz A4-5000 APU ( 4 cores ). Still waiting for SAS->SATA cable but I already set everything on Server 2012 ( got free license ). System on 64GB Crucial M4, 2x1TB SAS HDD RAID1 + 4x4TB SATA HDD RAID10 on LSI SAS controller. All in Bitfenix Prodigy ITX case.
I had weird problems with freeNAS like read/write errors and freezing while moving larger files. I also wanted to try something new like setting iSCSI and some other stuff on Server 2012R2.

Back