• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Hey guyz need some advise. I purchased a new XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir from a member at another forum. He had it listed as the V2 version. Unbeknownst to the seller it was the V1. When he purchased it for a build (that never happened), he failed the look in the box to see if it was the V2 version.

So here we are. I got it for less than 1/2 of the retail price shipped, which is a bargain, but it's the V1 :-/ I figured since I got it for a bargain I might as well keep it instead of sending it back to the seller and eat shipping costs. Might as well just send it to XSPC instead.

Undecided if I want to just give it a shot and use it, but before I do just slap a bead of clear silicone on it, or contact XSPC for a swap to the V2.

http://www.xs-pc.com/d5-dual-bay-reservoir-safety-notice/

Any advise?

If it were mine, depending on if it voids the warranty and if you're concerned with it being under warranty. I'd pull the panel off and give it a bead of silicon. You could also, if possible, tap a screw where the panel bulges like they did in V2, which I'm sure will void the warranty. Will they RMA it if it hasn't shown to be faulty yet?

Not concerned about warranties ;). I don't have a tap small enough. Was just checking on DazMode's site and saw a statement concerning the V1 that read:

"Replacement is not a problem (except they do not pay for shipping back to customer)".

So in other words my "bargain" will cost about the same as retail if I pay to send this back and also pay a 2nd time for them to send me back the V2 . Doesn't make sense as they'll replace it with the V2 but at my expense. :rolleyes:

Doesn't make sense as they'll replace it with the V2 but at my expense.
Then it looks like silicon is at the least a good idea. You could always just use a self tapping screw if you don't have a tap. Just make sure you drill the hole out a bit, otherwise you may crack the casing.

That thing is so much to ship? I'd figure $8 max? I'd return it to the seller and eat the postage.

If that doesn't seem great. Throw down a heavy bead along that edge and hope for the best.

Not going to tap as it's too risky given the thickness of the casing wall. I think my best bet is the beading of silicone. I got some industrial stuff at the Body Shop I work at that will work just fine ;)

Hey Fun, shipping to XSPC, then shipping back to me is going to be costly. Besides, I already got the thing, figure what the heck. Seller did right by me aside from not checking the box. He listed it under the impression it was the one he bought. 30 bux shipped brand new isn't too shabby.

Monday I'll take it with me to work and seal it up right :D

Thx guyz.

The silicon should be fine, just do yourself a favor and try to keep at a minimal inside the reservoir that way it doesn't peel off and clog the blocks or pump.

Yeah. I'm gonna remove the top, apply a thin layer on the outer edge of the O-ring along the edge of the casing, then drop the top back down on it. Should seal nice and snug. I got this black silicone we use when we're replacing the windshield. :D

Decided to go with Flex Seal instead. Taped off everything on the res except the gap and sprayed it up. Removed tape and it looks great. Just going to wait a few days until it really cures before I install it.

Here you goes. I used a razor to slice off excess, but as you can see it sealed up very nicely. I don't think I can get better than that. Rubber is hard already :)

Attachments

• DSC00193.JPG
    DSC00193.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC00194.JPG
    DSC00194.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 142
Maybe you can sit on it and float down a river on it, like they did in the infomercial with the boat and door screen ;)

Maybe you can sit on it and float down a river on it, like they did in the infomercial with the boat and door screen ;)

:rofl: too funny!

*Update*

Installed and working. Thus far no leaks to report. However I can say that my D5 is freakin' LOUD! I mean I can hear the sumbotch whining away! :shock: Not sure if I can tolorate that crap for long periods :rolleyes:

*Update*

Installed and working. Thus far no leaks to report. However I can say that my D5 is freakin' LOUD! I mean I can hear the sumbotch whining away! :shock: Not sure if I can tolorate that crap for long periods :rolleyes:

Glad its working.

What setting do you have your D5? From what I hear around setting 4 to 5 is when its most audible. Try setting 3 if you're loop isn't that complex.

No can do, it's the non adjustable one :-/. Guess a new pump is in the works.
Don't get a new pump just get a fan controller and run it off of that. I have a pair of the adjustable ones and run them at the #3 setting and they are nearly inaudible.

I believe the power draw is 2 amp so 24w at 100%. A 20w controller is probably cutting it close but you could likely run it at 50%-75% without a problem.

I'd rather not risk it if you know what I mean. Last thing I want to smell is burnt electronics/wiring, lol. I'm shopping around for a better controller. Any suggestions?

Back