• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this DIY cpu block work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Etho

Registered
My idea is to basically just solder some fitting on the heat pipes in a regular cooler and run water through them. A picture is worth 1000 words, no real need for an explanation.
7fzk8Ni.jpg

No because no circulation of the water? I like the idea, hybrid water/air cooler.

No because no circulation of the water? I like the idea, hybrid water/air cooler.

Why would there be no circulation of water? The heat pipes are hollow and water will be flowing through them, I wouldn't just fill the with water and seal it again. I would just cut the top part off completely. The final product would be the same as the the drawing, the aluminum plate and the three pipes with water going through them.

Because a water block has channels inside to conduct heat from the IHS into the fluid. Heat pipes don't have those.

An air cooler with heat pipes works through the phase change of a sealed fluid.

Don't do it, you'll just ruin a perfectly good heatsink.

Because a water block has channels inside to conduct heat from the IHS into the fluid. Heat pipes don't have those.

An air cooler with heat pipes works through the phase change of a sealed fluid.

Don't do it, you'll just ruin a perfectly good heatsink.
Mmk, I also do green sand casting with aluminum as a hobby. What kind of simple design could I cast that would make a good water block? By simple I mean no details smaller than 2mm.

Without fins smaller than 2mm? Nothing.

Now I'm just confused...
How does something like this work?
ek-nf4-rev1.1_front.jpg

Not well at all. That's a very old design and wouldn't stand up to modern CPUs.

You'll have something more like this these days:
swiftech_gtz_10.jpg

Also, you wouldn't want to use aluminum for the block if there's any copper in your water loop.

Now I'm just confused...
How does something like this work?
ek-nf4-rev1.1_front.jpg

Nobody is saying you couldn't make one. I'm all for DIY. It's just not going to be any where's near as efficient as what you could get on the cheap. It all comes down to what you think your time and materials are worth compared to the results.

Back