• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24/7 voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sapin

Whats the recommended voltage for a 5920k for a 4 year life span, everyday use with ~1/3 of the time 100% load
temperature not a factor

Just let the motherboard set the voltage to a default for your CPU if you aren't going to overclock. Otherwise, you will need to tinker with the BIOS settings to get the BCLK, Multiplier, and voltage to all play friendly with each other. Unless of course you have a UEFI that has some preset overclocks like Turbo or such. No worries.

At stock speeds? Leave it alone.

+1

don't fight City Hall @ stock speeds.

However if you are talking about max overclock for that period of time 1.4 is fine if you have the cooling to support it.

My 3930K has been running @ 1.415 with power savings off for like 3.5 years and is still holding strong

Max temp specified by Intel is weirdly low - 66.8*C. I have no idea how it affects durability of these chips but after any overvoltage on water cooling you can see about 70*C in older Prime95. Yesterday I was checking some settings and I saw temps up to 75*C @4.2GHz 1.25V.
These CPUs supposed to throttle not much above that temp and many motherboards have option to set that limit higher. I haven't seen difference even without that limit set higher but maybe it's related to EIST and C stages.

Earlier CPUs were running without bigger issues up to ~1.4V 24/7 but I'm not sure what about Haswell-E as PLL and cache voltage requirements after OC are higher ( boards are bumping it at auto settings ).

Back