• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4GB RAM Installed, Windows only uses 2.5GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sassafrassas

Registered
Recently, I've noticed some slow system performance. I currently have 4GB RAM installed in my system (2GB Sticksx2), but in my Windows System Properties menu, it reads that I only have 2.5GB installed (2GB usable).

I have reseated my RAM, and switched their slots, but this did not fix the problem.

I know that it is not a motherboard limitation, as my motherboard supports 8GB RAM.

I want to know why my OS is reading that I only have 2.5GB, and if this is effecting my system performance at all.

As an added note, I recently set up Dual monitors on my PC, and if this would noticeably effect my system performance.

Thanks in advance. :D

64 bit or 32 bit OS? Can you also provide a list of system specs?

I am currently using a 64bit OS.

MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-MLX
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20GHz
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
Power Supply: Antec VP-450 450watt
2xSDD SATA Drives

I am not exactly sure how to see what brand of model of RAM I'm using, but its 2 sticks of Consair Brand 2GB RAM

Apologies, I am not exactly sure how to check if my integrated is on or not.

Capture.PNG

Attached is a picture of my GPU properties. I hope you can make better sense of it than I can.

In the BIOS, not in Windows.

Go to Advanced -> Chipset and you'll find the settings in there.

Under Chipset, there is an option labeled Internal Graphics. Under Internal graphics, there are 4 options:
Primary Video Controller
UMA Frame buffer Size
Surround View
Frame Buffer Location

How should I proceed from here?

Nothing that says Internal Graphics Mode?
Anything that has an option for "Disable"?

No, only the options listened above. If it is any help, I have the American MegaTrends v.1303 BIOS.

After updating my BIOS to the latest version (v.1701), the options still remain as listed above.

Back