• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo Y500 a good choice for a used gaming laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KyltPDM

Hi everyone, I've never owned a gaming laptop before but thought I might buy a used one. I was hoping for some feedback or insight before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

I'm looking at a Lenovo Y500. Specs as far as I know are:
I7 (not sure exact speed)
8 GB ddr3 1600mhz
nvidia gt 750m 2gb
HD 1 tb with 16gb ssd cache
15.6" screen at 1920x1080

I'd use it for stuff like general office stuff, web design (I'm terrible), and games such as Civ 5, Kerbal Space Program, maybe Eve Online etc etc. If it will run higher end games then great!

Any thoughts appreciated, if there's something notoriously bad about this laptop I'd love that feedback as well.

Thanks everyone

I'd replace the disk with a large SSD (lots of sales on M550 1TBs lately), but Civ 5 and EVE worked just fine on the laptop in my sig which is likely a lesser CPU and definitely lesser GPU. Not sure about KSP, as it performs like a giant sticky ball of turd even on my desktop, but that's just bad coding.

The GT 750M is viable for some gaming. Heck, my son uses a GT 640M and beats my butt at everything.

How much will it cost you?

Just so you know, the wifi card is pretty junky out of the box so you'll need to add on a $35 or so card to it out of the box. It seems that Lenovo has a general problem with their non-business lines and poor wifi. I think there is a specific card you have to get because Lenovo also locked the bios.

GT 750m SLI right? For the most part, flawless gaming notebook. Above average display, great speakers, and great gaming performance if the game supports SLI. That was one of the only draw backs with the SLI direction Lenovo took. They have now dropped the idea as some developers just don't like implementing SLI from the start.

I'd definitely go with what is suggested. However, you do have a decent SSHD, so if you aren't willing to spend an extra 150 bucks on a quality 256 GB + SSD, there shouldn't be much of a draw back.

Back