• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I couldn't resist, but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

Well, I just delided my 4790k and... ZERO temp drop!

I did someting like... 10 mounts.

Well, ok, I had to use MX4 as die IHS TIM, as I am out of liquid pro...

Ordering some now and will check again.

DSC_0045.JPG

Some users said that TIM isn't the issue but IHS placement and too thick glue which is holding the IHS on the sides. LCP will for sure give better results but I wouldn't count on any miracle. Many CPUs after delidding are overclocking the same and only some are overclocking better and that also depends from used cooling.

Temps of my 3770k droped by... 25/30° through the all the cores Using CLU.

I hope I'll get at least 5/10°C... I hope, lol!

Anyway, I've finally find stable settings for 4.8GHz/1.32v and could run [email protected].

Happy :)

My last 4790K wasn't really good but I guess most users wouldn't complain. It was running @4.7GHz ~1.3V but under ss couldn't make more than my Pentium G3258 even though Pentium needs ~1.42V for 4.7GHz. I sold the 4790K just because I didn't want to have 2nd RMA for CPU in the same store ( lets say they are starting to make problems with some of my RMA ).
1st 4790K was great, needed about 1.268V for 4.8GHz and made 5.9GHz on dice ... somehow it died while running on water on low clock and low voltages.

My 3770K after delidding had 12*C less but was overclocking exactly the same. Max difference in some tests was up to 50MHz.

Lol about the rma ;)

A couple of years ago, I bought 2 dead 2600K's (OEM!) for €90, and got 2 brand new from Intel! These guys are good!

Here we RMA almost everything in stores. For all Intels I got replacement just because it was taking too long and stores couldn't tell me what is happening. With other stuff all depends what and where I bought it. Motherboards or graphics cards are being fixed and stuff like memory or ssd are replaced to new as barely any company is fixing it. In most cases when something breaks then you know what you can count on.

Pfff... I just killed the MoBo and one 7970... The online shop sends me a voucher. I might go for another model then :D

the tim on the 4790k's was improved so i wouldn't expect nearly the same results as the 4770's and 3770k's for temp drops.

Also you may have a bit of a gap under the IHS aswell causing your issue.

When i delid my 3770k I scraped off all the old glue on both the IHS and cpu.

You may want to look into running it without the IHS also to see if that is the issue.

I think you would just need to shim the CPU in place to keep it from moving on you.

But once you secure the Cooler on it should stay in place either way , Some people just totally removed the cpu clamp on the socket and run it without the IHS and the cpu cooler holding the cpu in place.

just be careful not to over tighten and crush the core if you try that.

Thanks for the advice, SF.

I did remove all the glue already.

I believe the gap between the IHS and the die was not that big. Oh, well, if I can shave 8/10°C extra, I should be able to bench@5'ish GHz.

Need a new GPU as well, I might finally grab a 980. Sent the 7970 to RMA to Sapphire, but not sure they take it (broken fan , missing screws...)
I have to wait until saturday anyway, CLU arrived, but the new Mobo won't be here befor week-end.

Finally received the Liquid Ultra, and rebuilt evrything with the Extrem4.

MoBo is nice, it overclocks exactly the same as the Z97M OC Formula.

Temps are much better with the CLU.

85°C max on IBT High with 24/25°C [email protected]/1.33v.
IBT_4.8_1.33.jpg

most of these chips are getting so hot and quickly that there isnt much diff just changing out tim. or even going to water. not sure of the results from the 4790 stuffs. all my exp is with 3770 and 4770

Well, temps dropped by12°C to 15°C through the 4 cores, which is not bad.

I can run a 2 hours P95 [email protected]/1.4v without getting in the danger zone.

I keep the [email protected] 24/7, as 1.4v seems a tad high for Haswell.

And I can bench@5GHz+ now :p

- - - Updated - - -

Well, temps dropped by12°C to 15°C through the 4 cores, which is not bad.

I can run a 2 hours P95 [email protected]/1.4v without getting in the danger zone.

I keep the [email protected] 24/7, as 1.4v seems a tad high for Haswell.

And I can bench@5GHz+ now :p

Back