• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob right here! I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabby1019

Registered
So I'm new the pc building word, I don't know anything about how to build a pc or anything, I've read a lot on the topic but I still need help. So I want to build a really nice gaming PC that's gonna last, at the moment, price does matter but I don't want something that's gonna break down on me or start slowing down in 2 years. I want to know what are the pros and cons are to using a full tower and whatnot. What I need to make a good build and such. Telling me everything and please expain in non-computer lingo lol

the case is just a box, pick one that looks pretty to Y-O-U.
the motherboard sets your feature set what kind of stuff will you do with this rig?
a BIG question is what's the budget?

I will be doing some heavy gaming with this rig, live streaming and some editing videos. I would say my budget would be under $1,000....

- - - Updated - - -

So all cases can fit whatever gear u put in it?

So is the motherboard the most important thing or the graphics card? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, I just really don't know

The two things you never want to cheap out on, your power supply, and motherboard. A crappy psu, can take out your components. If you have any plans of overclocking, a cheap motherboard is a bad idea.

I would think that an intel 4670 cpu on an asrock extreme 4 powered with an evga 650-g2 650 watt psu would be a very good starting point.

If you are in the US, and live near a Microcenter, you can get a great combo deal, on the tow parts that caddi daddi mentioned, $304.98. You can't beat that. http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

Do you have a monitor?

You will need an os. at this point in time, I cannot recommend Win 7, it is a great os, but it is nearly 5 years old, get Win 8.1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...#&percm=32-416-776:$$$$$$$;32-416-778:$$$$$$$ If you are a student, you might be able to get an os without cost.

Fully modular psu, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438027 $94.99 before rebate, after rebate $69.99. it is overkill for your needs, but it has a 10 year warranty.

Ram, either kit is $81.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...S&percm=20-231-460:$$$$$$$;20-231-550:$$$$$$$ It's low profile ram, so it should work with nearly every aftermarket cooler.

SSD Samsung Evo, 256 GB, $157.99, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147253

1 TB WD hard Drive, $79.99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/...SATA_60Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_WD1003FZEX

Last edited:
A little more clarity is needed as well.
What screen resolution do you plan on playing at?
Do you need all the "eyecandy" turned up?
Do you live near a Microcenter?

K I don't live near a micro center, I live in New Mexico. Currently I'm looking at a build by Austin evans on YouTube, he built the photon for $500. Is that a good build for starting out and can I upgrade later on and whatnot. My biggest question, does the case matter? I'm looking into getting a full tower so i can deck it out and upgrade overtime. I would like to keep the price at $850 if I can and then just upgrade overtime...

Now for cooling! I want to be able to overclock(what does overclock mean anyways?) and I don't know where to start. I heard that liquid cooling is the best out their and you should keep your pc around 35c in temp

I also heard that when picking a motherboard and a cup,they have to fit or something, can u guys explain this to me please

- - - Updated - - -

CPU!*

Man... man... man... you're all over the place, lol! ;)

No hurry, take your time...

Key components of a PC:

- Power supply: you NEED a quality one, a cheap PSU could die unexpectdly and take some components with it (motherboard, CPU, graphic card...)

- Motherboard: it "inter connects" all the components. It's mainly defined by its socket (AMD AM3+ and FM2+, Intel LGA1150 and x99 to name the mos common ones). For each socket, there is a matching type of CPU. Some allow overclocking, some not.

- The CPU: it's the "brain" of the computer. Some allow overclocking, some not.

- The memory: All the current sockets use DDR3, x99 uses DDR4. It's rated by frequency (1333/1600/1866/2133/2400MH and so on) and latency (Cl8, Cl9, Cl10...). The higher the frequency and the lower the latency, the faster the memory.

- The graphic card (or GPU for Grahic Processing Unit): it handles the display. The higher end the GPU, the better performance in game.

- The storage unit: that can be a Hard Disk Drive (HDD), or a Solid State Drive (SSD). HDD's are mechanical, offer large storage and are cheap. SSD's are made of some kind of flash memory, are MUCH FASTER than HDD's, but price per Gigabyte (storage unit) is much higher than HDD's. You usually use a SSD for your operating system and the games/applications you use often, and HDD for data storage and applications you don't us emuch.

- Monitor: it's rated by resolution (720p, 1080p, 1440p,4K) and refresh rate (60Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz). The resolution defines the amount of pixels the monitpr can display. Most common is 1080p. Refresh rate is the maximum frames per second (FPS) the monitor is capable of.

- Overclocking: increasing the CPU speed above stock clock to have some "free" extra performance. Requires good aftermarket cooling.

- Watercooling: leave it for now ;)

Let me have some coffee and I'll go more in depth in an other post!

Okay! Thanks guys for your help! Anything else I should know that a beginner pc builder should know?

the case is just a box, pick one that looks pretty to Y-O-U.
the motherboard sets your feature set what kind of stuff will you do with this rig?
a BIG question is what's the budget?

I think the case is very important and a foundational component. And I think you were probably saying this to OP kind of tongue n cheek, Wade. "Pretty" would be last on my list of priorities for the case. Being roomy so as to be easy to work in, so as to provide options for cooling and upgrades and good ventilation is a must in my book. And to meet those criteria doesn't require spending a lot of money. I got my NZXTl listed in my Sig for $80 and it has all the qualities I mentioned.

Last edited:
Back