• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of a better Graphics Card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't want to step on anyone's toes, but in the case of a card like the GT 630 the 4GB is only there to make it sell. Any game that could demand that much VRAM would have a GT series card limping about in the low single digit fps, and I haven't managed to find any situation where other software benefits from it either. I'm not saying it's a bad card or anything, just that the extra memory is pretty much there for decoration. I'd say even 1 GB is plenty for 1366x768.
:thup: :clap:

In 3D modeling applications, taking a few seconds to render is considered "pretty fast". But they're going to be going for top end GPUs in the first place.

And then there's using VRAM as an insanely fast SSD with no write cycle limit. Not much point as regular RAM is cheaper, at least until you have maxed that out.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap_on_video_ram

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have now resolved the Graphics Card issue with this.

Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card GTX750TI-OC-2GD5

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, but in the case of a card like the GT 630 the 4GB is only there to make it sell. Any game that could demand that much VRAM would have a GT series card limping about in the low single digit fps, and I haven't managed to find any situation where other software benefits from it either. I'm not saying it's a bad card or anything, just that the extra memory is pretty much there for decoration. I'd say even 1 GB is plenty for 1366x768.

Speaking of which, if I was the OP I'd consider figuring a new 1080p display into the upgrade budget. Not only gaming but also work, surfing and pretty much everything on a PC is infinitely more enjoyable with 2 times the screen real estate. If you subscribe to Newegg or TigerDirect's newsletters you'll find fairly nice 1080p displays for under $100 from time to time. If I had ~$200 to spend on an upgrade, I would take a 750 and 1080p monitor over a 760 and 720p monitor any day. Just my opinion.

This is why I have a projector which plays 1080p and projects onto a 120" screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back