• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[BUILD LOG] Overkill Watercooled 900D Gaming Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrBoJang1es

I just recently started my first build and decided I should probably make a build log with all the pictures I'm taking. Hopefully I can collect some good advice along the way too considering this is my first PC build. That being said, i'm also going to take my time and enjoy the build. I'm in no rush to power this beast on!

I decided to go with water cooling and some completely overkill hardware for an OC minded gaming build. I'll be using 2 individual loops (one for the mobo, one for the GPUs) each cooled by their own 480mm radiator and powered by 2 independent pumps.

I have a good majority of my hardware already and I'll spec out the remaining pieces as I build.

Hardware basics:
(For a complete list of parts and pricing CLICK HERE!)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX LGA2011
Memory: 4 x Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB DDR3-2133 (32GB total)
Hard Drive: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB SSD
GPU: 2 x SLI Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W

Let the fun begin!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct. 22nd

I've been very busy lately, but I managed to find some time to start working on the build. So far, I've completed one of my GPU water block and back plate installations. I'm missing a few photos from the process, but I'll be sure to capture them the 2nd time around when I do the next GPU.

The "EK-FC980 GTX - Nickel" water block that was installed:
G4j5zIT.jpg

First the stock back plate was removed:
Aq4NzwO.jpg

Next, the GPU's stock cooler was removed. I'll admit, I was rather sad removing the stock cooling system - it's beautiful and it was a shame to see it go...
KRMwbZW.jpg

Nevertheless, in the name of performance what's done is done:
yMcTBkZ.jpg

I began placing the thermal pads. I put a very thin layer of thermal grease on each component prior to installing each pad. For this, I used the "EK-TIM Ectotherm" grease that came with my water blocks. The grease was spread using the small paintbrushes that came with my "Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra" TIM kit. You can see the IC in the top left has the grease spread uniformly:
Q8pZbr2.jpg

Here are all the pads installed:
NoNIjDm.jpg

I also placed another layer of thermal grease on the exposed sides of the thermal pads after they were mounted to each component:
0We1sHv.jpg

With all the thermal pads placed, I then applied the "Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra" TIM to the GPU. I was surprised how easy this stuff was to apply:
i3Otsdq.jpg

The water block was then mounted to the GPU. This step made me the most nervous because it was a bit tricky to line up the screw holes while placing the block. You really have only one shot to get it right otherwise you'll mess up your TIM spread if you place the block improperly and have to remove it for a 2nd go around:
jGYlaVT.jpg

I spread the thermal grease in on the GPU die slot on the back plate:
NYEN1kN.jpg

Thermal pads were placed over the die slot and grease was applied to the IC bar:
xXkLo2c.jpg

The remaining thermal pads were then placed on the back plate:
S9baeGn.jpg

The "EK-FC980 GTX Backplate" was then mounted on the GPU:
wS4cXT2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct. 27th

I worked a weekend shift so i was off Monday. This allowed me to devote a good portion of my day to the build. I decided to start with the motherboard water block.

The un-modified "ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition" motherboard:
X1uzHcs.jpg

First step was to remove all the stock cooling components:
du6L5RI.jpg

The pre-installed CPU back plate needed to be removed and replaced with the alternate back plate that was supplied with the motherboard:
UcolqHB.jpg

I ran into a bit of a road bump here. The bracket that is originally used to secure the CPU needed to be removed. The nuts that i needed to secure the alternate back plate were molded into this CPU securing bracket and were impossible to remove. There were no additional loose nuts supplied with the mobo... I had to scrape around the house to find some replacement nuts that would hold the new back plate in place:
NlUfQP7.jpg

Dropped the "Intel i7-4930K" CPU:
7wWLq7J.jpg

Applied a tiny bit of the "EK-TIM Ectotherm" grease to the voltage regulators:
1IkFnB0.jpg

Added thermal pads and another layer of thermal grease:
UfiMBYh.jpg

Applied the "Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra" TIM to the CPU:
1nnrUJo.jpg

Positioned the "EK-FB ASUS R4BE Monoblock" waterblock:
WBjU6he.jpg

Secured the water block with the supplied screws through the back of the motherboard:
GydkhL4.jpg

I also completed the water block mounting on my 2nd Asus GTX 980 GPU. Water block work is done for now!

Last edited:
Finished my first update - water block installation on the primary GPU. I'm missing a few pictures but they'll be added shortly after I mod the 2nd GPU.

I received a package in the mail today. I didn't have time to open it, but i think it's my reservoirs. I went with one bay res (EK-DBAY RES SPIN - Acetal (Original CSQ)) and one standard tube res (EK-RES X3 250).

I'm debating whether or not to WC my RAM. I know it won't provide much of a boost in terms of performance, but I'd be doing it more to lower the internal ambient temp within the case. Plus I think it looks pretty damn cool. This may not be an option.

Also, can't decide on a color scheme - most of the current hardware is black. I was thinking adding neon green to the mix. I've also seen some really cool builds that use a deep purple with mostly black. I really, REALLY like the look of this "Liquid Ice Build". I'd be nervous that i wouldn't be able to match the "ice" blue and i would just end up with another (over used) blue LED build. If anyone has any advice on how i could make my build match that one (lightning component/coolant recommendations), i'm all ears!

Also, don't under estimate the size of the 900D case. This is just the case sitting on my current computer desk. I don't really have any idea where i'm going to place this beast once it's completed...
u5swMoo.jpg

Still need to pick out my tubing sizes and fittings. I may wait until i have all the hardware installed rather than attempt to guess at what i might need to complete my 2 cooling loops.

Last edited:
I installed water blocks on my motherboard and GPU last night. I'll update with the mobo water block installation either today or tomorrow.

As I was working on the 2nd GPU, I snapped and uploaded pictures that I was missing from the first GPU water block mounting. I think the current log depicts the process sufficiently so I won't make an update for the 2nd GPU.

Stay tuned for the motherboard water block mounting update shortly!

I am confused as to why you are using so much thermal paste. Also why are you using thermal paste with thermal pads?

I am confused as to why you are using so much thermal paste. Also why are you using thermal paste with thermal pads?

In my research before building some people advise to do it where others make no mention.

I've also read that too much paste can be detrimental to heat transfer, so in each case i was only applying BARELY enough to make it possible to spread across whatever surface i was working on.

In the very least, EK's waterblock installation manuals recommend it so i could argue that it was a mere effort to follow directions:
KRgCXFn.png

In my own judgement, the idea behind it makes sense. The ICs aren't perfectly smooth (the surfaces are rather rough actually) and should allow for the grease to fill in these surface imperfections thereby increasing the contact area between the pad and the element to be cooled. I was convinced it was worth a shot.

Also, ordered my tube and fittings this weekend. Went with Primoflex Advance LRT (1/2" ID x 3/4" OD) clear tube. All bitspower fittings were chosen (i hope i have enough) and some EKkoolant mix.

Last edited:
In my own judgement, the idea behind it makes sense. The ICs aren't perfectly smooth (the surfaces are rather rough actually) and should allow for the grease to fill in these surface imperfections thereby increasing the contact area between the pad and the element to be cooled. I was convinced it was worth a shot.

I've never used both paste and thermal pads myself. Been working as a service technician on various hardware for a number of years and have been instructed not to use paste where pads are used, though this could simply be cost related or whatever. Actually never given it much thought, though I did use both once at end-customer request.

The reasoning you give for it is logical in my mind, but it would be interesting to see some numbers to compare. If it is even measurable. Could be similar effects to polishing the contact surface of the IC's.

What I have seen though, is a "fix" Dell used on an older XPS model where they had issues with the GPU overheating. They actually dropped the thermal pads and put a tiny copper spacer in it's place with thermal paste on both sides. That did actually make a good difference.

Keep up the good work :thup:

Back