• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help designing custom ss/cascade vga holdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks!

Have a buddy that'll make more or less whatever we can come up with....looking for help/guidance in designing a universal vga holdown/clamshell backplate for use with ss or cascade. Will need to order a clamshell then have it cut so it fits whatever we come up with as the 'normal' clamshell is wider than the gpu mounting holes but that part should be relatively easy to deal with.

Tia of course :) Really itching for some ss-vga action!

Here's a great start from MattNo5ss:
I got kinda lucky that I was able to mount a cascade on the GTX580 Classified. I made a custom backplate out of whatever I could find, which was Plexiglas and duct insulation. Then, I bought some threaded rod that I believe was M3 in diameter and some thumbnuts, but they could have been a little smaller than M3. The threaded rod ended up being flared out a little since the GPU holes were closer together and that CPU mounting plate holes, but it worked.

I was planning on making a custom plate for the head as well if it didn't work. My initial plan is below, the next step was to cut the plate in half and use some sort of hinge on one side and a locking mechanism on the other, so I could get it around the suction line.

The mounting hole spacing is pretty much between 43x43mm and 63x63mm square, excluding the GTX460's rectangle mounting holes...

View attachment 124279

You could always use zipties like Ed mentioned, or maybe shoe strings like I mounted a CPU water clock on a GPU...

View attachment 124280

View attachment 124281

Cheap cutting boards, + measuring the holes + dremel = win! The hard part is the measuring of all the holes.

Back